Problems! 2000 Caravan Sport and Infinity Sound

I removed the Infinity CD/Tape/Radio unit from my 2000 Caravan because the CD player no longer works and I am attempting to replace it with an aftermarket unit. I bought a dash adapter and wiring kit so I wouldn't have to cut/splice any of the wires. Now that I have it installed the rear speakers won't work. Wanting to rule out bad rear channels in the receiver, I swapped the front and rear speaker connections. The front speakers still work using the rear channels of the receiver, so I know the receiver is ok, and it must be something with the wiring. I tried to get continuity with my V/Ohm meter and couldn't get any with the rear speakers. As a last ditch effort, I went to the local Mopar garage and told the guy at the service counter my story and he told me that "you can put an Infinity receiver in a non-Infinity vehicle, but you can't put an aftermarket radio in an Infinity equipped vehicle without replacing the speakers. Each speaker has it's own amp on the back of it". By that I figured he meant a diode or transformer of some kind. Is there any way I can use the stock speakers? Remove the diode/transformer or something. What do people usually do in this instance?

Thanks, Snydley

Reply to
Snydley

So....find and fix the problem!

No, he means an amp.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

A few rounds with google would have gave you your answer. Search for "PAC OEM-1 adapter".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Thanks Bob, You see, I didn't even know what I was up against, let alone what to search for. I'm not even sure what this does, or if it's what I need. What I want to do is use the amp built into my new aftermarket receiver, with the speakers that are stock in the van. Is that possible, or do I need to remove the speakers, or the amp on the speakers and run the wires directly from the receiver to those speakers. By going to that website I see a question in the FAQ section that describes my problem, front speakers on, but no rear speakers, it says to connect the Remote "turn on" wire to the Infinity's amps remote wire. My new receiver has one of these wires.You don't know where these amps are located do you?

Thanks for your help, Snydley

Reply to
Snydley

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
mic canic

I got a website

fromsomeone who replied earlier, did a little research on that site and it saidthat if you have sound in the front, but nothing in the rear you need toturn on the rear amps. Looking over the connections again, I found one wirefrom the harness, and from the receiver that weren't being used, turns outthey were the amp "on" wire on the harness, and the power antenna/remoteturn on wire on the receiver. I connected them together without a relay, andit works ok, UNTIL I turn it up real loud, or have too much bass in thesound, then the rear channels drop in and out, until I lower the volume.Maybe the amp is getting too "hot" a signal and causes it to drop out? Iguess I can use it like that for now, until I can get some new speakers inthe back.

Thanks to all!!, Snydley

diode/transformer

Reply to
Snydley

Reply to
mic canic

Well, the intent of your message is correct, although the technical accuracy is not... You most certainly can amplify a signal twice (or even

50 times). It's not a "megahertz thing" at all - clipping is caused by overdriving an amplifier's input capability, based largely on the biasing of said amplifier.
Reply to
Dan C

ROTFL. This statement is hilarious. You can amplify a signal as many times as you want. Multiple stage amps are very common. "It's a megahertz thing," now that is a classic.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
mic canic

Only if you are overdriving one of the amps. Keep within the capability of the amp and you can cascade several before distortion becomes a significant factor.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You're clueless. Don't post again until you learn a little about what you're talking about.

Reply to
Dan C

i know exactly what i'm talking about i just can't seem to word it correctly

i can safely say i have forgotten more then u will know

Dan C wrote:

Reply to
mic canic

Trouble is, you've also forgotten as much as you ever knew. You don't know what you are talking about in this case, no matter how you worded it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

matt i do know what i'm talking about and would like to know what makes you such a expert in cars? because you own one ! asshole

Matt Whit> mic canic wrote:

Reply to
mic canic

Well, for starters, I know enough to post at the bottom. Second, the topic is more electronics than cars and I'm an EE and PE. What are your qualifications to talk about electronic amplifiers?

Lastly, I have sufficient vocabulary to enable me to express myself without the need to resort to vulgarity, which is the bastion of the ignorant.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

"Matt Whiting" wrote: > mic canic wrote: > > > when you use a scope and amp the signal twice you cut off > the freq at the top of > > the wave hence the word clipping and you can watch it on a > scope it becomes a > > stright line then drops bac down > > doubt my words try hooking up a eq after a 2 channel high > power radio has been > > installed and use all high level wires to hook it up > > Only if you are overdriving one of the amps. Keep within the > capability > of the amp and you can cascade several before distortion > becomes a > significant factor. > > > Matt

There?s a way around the whole amping an amp thing. Your aftermarket deck should have a set of RCA jacks. Get a couple RCA male ends, wire them to your rear speakers and you?re set. I had the same trouble with an aftermarket replacing the Infinity CD player in my ?95 and the info you guys gave for powering the amped did the trick. I hope the whole RCA jack thing will work as well for you.

Reply to
VIP_Fiend