Infinity amplifier specs

Does anyone know specs (input voltage, impedance etc) on stock Infinity amplifier in Durango 99? I'm thinking about replacing the stock radio, but will probably leave amplifier in place.

Secondly, is there an aftermarket stereo that can make use of volume/seek buttons on the steering wheel?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

John Robertson

"Peter" wrote in news:4253946a snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

The Infinity amp accepts speaker-level inputs from the head unit, and it puts out about 12 watts RMS per channel at a somewhat reasonable distortion level (take that with a grain of salt). It's rated at 160 watts, but that's peak power at something like 8% THD. The only good thing about the Infinity amp is that it's got pre-programmed equalization to make the Infinity speakers sound "good" (relative term).

Chances are pretty good that any decent aftermarket head unit will have more power than the Infinity, so it may be better to simply bypass the Infinity and go directly from your new head to the speakers. Of course, your best bet is to replace both the head unit and the speakers.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks! I've already replaced rear & front speakers with Kenwood 17cm ones (Infinity speakers were blown), but left stock tweeters in place. Also found PAC SWI-X adapter that will let me use control buttons on steering wheel!

Would you recommend tossing the amplifier and get a decently powered head unit? Or maybe get a head unit with no amp, and re-use Infinity amp? Can it be tricked into accepting line-out instead of speaker level inputs?

Thx! Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote in news:4256263f snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

So you're using the OEM wiring with the "integrated" crossover for the fronts?

Neat little unit.

Considering you've already upgraded the speakers, you might want to get a decent head unit and bypass the Infinity amp altogether. This will give you more power to the speakers, but you'll have to run new wiring directly from your new head unit to the speakers. You'll also have to get a crossover for the front tweeters, as the OEM crossovers are buried somewhere in the factory wiring. OTOH, you can always tap into the factory wiring after the Infinity output, which would enable you to use the factory crossovers for the tweeters.

I doubt you can feed the Infinity a line level signal, as it was designed to accept speaker outputs from the OEM radio. If you really want to stay with the Infinity, you can probably just run the speaker leads from the new head unit right into the Infinity. There's no guarantee, however, that you won't overload the Infinity input stage due to the aftermarket head unit's higher power.

Reply to
Joe

There is no crossover to speak of. Electrical diagrams do not even show one, but I've seen capacitor soldered on the tweeter ;)

Tapping into factory wiring would probably be best. Since I have service manual it's a piece of cake to locate all those wires.

BTW, are there any non-OEM units that can read data from vehicle's CCD bus? Control buttons on the steering wheel transmit via CCD anyway, plus it would provide vehicle's speed to head unit thus allowing for volume auto-adjust...

OK, thanks a lot for the info!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote in news:42566afa snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

Ah, so the door speakers are running full range? Interesting. Considering how cheap (as in quality, not cost) the entire "Infinity" option is, it wouldn't surprise me if that cap was the "crossover".

I installed a Sony 45x4 RMS amp w/7-band EQ after the Infinity amp. Big improvement, but not anywhere near as clean as I want. I tapped right into the wiring between the Infinity output and the speakers. On my '03 Dak, everything's in the passenger kick panel.

No idea - I've never gone down that road. ;) That would be pretty cool though.

Glad to have helped. And thanks for the info about the crossovers.

Joe

Reply to
Joe