Do I keep, or replace, the Infinity Amp and radio in a 1997 Sebring?

Vehicle:

1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXI 2.5L,V6, Gas, FI, VIN "H", EEB, JXI

I think that the Infinity Amp under the passenger seat is bad.

What's the best option?

  1. Replace the radio, amp, and speakers with the latest and greatest? If so, with what? Will I need special cable adapters?

  1. Buy a used amp & see if the radio will work? I'm guessing that my existing radio will not power on without the amp installed and working?

  2. Buy a 3rd party replacement amp & use the existing speakers and radio? If so, who makes a replacement amp? Will I need special cable adapters?

  1. I have a brand new Sony radio that I could install. Will it work with the Infinity Amp and the Infinity speakers? I assume that I will need special cable adapters to connect that new Sony radio/CD to the connectors that were plugged into the old Infinity radio/CD box?

THANKS, Gene

Reply to
Gene

philthy

LOL - I decided to take a look at the Infinity amp board under the passenger's seat before throwing the radio & amp in the trash.

Upon careful examination of the board, I found a cap that had a broken lead. I carefully soldered the cap, tested, and cleaned the board.

After powering up the system, the old Infinity cranked out the Big Bopper just fine. Everything worked like new.

I was a bit surprised with the quality - it's really not that bad. Senior citizens can't hear all that well anyway - think I'll just keep it for a little while more, then get one with MP3/IPOD and woofers, flashing lights, etc...

Conclusion: the Infinity amps are installed in a place where they can get wet from time to time & corrode at the end of the board. The good news is that the board is pretty easy to work on & looks like it is well made. It's worth the time to rip it open & clean the board - if you do it right & get it 100% dry before applying power - I would give most defective boards a 60% chance of recovery.

Hint: gently wiggle each component (especially near the end of the board). You could have a component that has a lead completely corroded away. It's through-hole, so no big deal to solder at low temperature, just take your time.

Later, Gene

Reply to
Gene

I've found my Infinity sound system is quite good actually - the best factory installed system in any car I've ever owned, which granted isn't saying much, but it is very good.

Reply to
Fred G. Mackey

That is my observation as well - not really that bad. For some reason, the AM reception is the best I have ever owned. I think I will keep the Infinity system until I find something that I really want.

If it had MP3 on DVD - that would be all I need:-)

Gene

Reply to
Gene

You made exactly the correct decision by repairing your radio. If you have the unit with the joystick balance control, and the graphic equalizer, thank your lucky star that you didn't replace it. Why? Because ANY aftermarket unit you buy these days is menu driven. You can adjust your unit by feel, in the dark, blindfolded. Any "modern" replacement unit will be menu driven, which means you have to take your eyes off the road, pull up menus, read through the menus displayed on a tiny little screen in letters about

1/4 inch tall, scroll through menus till you find what you want, then adjust that item using tiny little buttons. All while going 70 miles an hour through traffic. Modern aftermarket units are NOT designed for safe driving. Stick with your old head unit as long as you can. When it fails, buy another one just like from a salvage yard, or eBay. Don't make the mistake of replacing it with a "modern" unit.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

Ha! A guy after my own heart! I refer to the aftermarket radios as being "DOS" driven. I have two essentially identical 2nd gen. Concordes

- one with factory head unit, the other one with aftermarket head unit (installed by previous owner). I *hate* the controls on the aftermarket unit, as I have on every car with an aftermarket radio that I have ever owned.

Bill Putney

Yeah, I love the little joy stick thing too, good sound too. I just wish it had MP3.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

Hi...

I'll second that...

Wonder if anyone has yet to try burning .wav's to a blank dvd and trying to play it?

If no one else has, I'm willing to do the experiment.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Heres my solution....and it works for me...... Plugged my Ipod into a FM transmitter module.

Same for the Sirius reciever. Works great!

Deke

Reply to
Deke

Here you go.....take your pick, dont forget anti-skip, and a FM transmitter.....

Deke

I've got a 2000 with the Infinity system. The previous owner replaced the Infinity speakers with Blaupunkt speakers (he was a Blaupunkt manager) but the system is terrific. Excellent sound clarity with all kinds of music and great reception as well although I'm in a major market (Chicago).

Reply to
Arthur Tragg