PT Cruiser brake drums???

Trying to remove rear brake drums . Do they come off like other cars or do I have to remove the large nut under the grease cap on the axel ?? The front rotors came off with out removing the center nut I hope back drums are the same. I beat on the drums but I wasn't sure if thats how they come off. Any help will be appreciated.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry - OHIO

Did you run in the adjuster ?

Reply to
Joseph Myers

"Jerry - OHIO" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3131.bay.webtv.net...

You have to remove the large nut under the grease cap, like other cars with drum breaks.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

If it's like my Dodge Caravan with rear drum brakes, you don't remove a large nut.

The drums on the Caravan, with basically the same rear suspension as the PT Cruiser, are simply pulled off once the retractor star-wheel is turned through the port in the backing plate.

On the Caravan, there are two threaded holes in the drums. A bolt is screwed through those hole to help "pop" the drum off of the hub. There may be a "tinnerman" nut or two on a wheel lug that also help hold the drum in place. Those can be broken off with diagonal pliers and need not be replaced.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll need a bigger hammer!! I had a hard time just removing the rims so I guess the centers are just tighter than normal .I'm gunna get some wd -40 and give them a soaking.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO