PT Cruiser misting up

Just drove my 2003 PT Cruiser CRD through heavy snow for the first time and was surprised how well it handled. No slipping even on hard packed snow. I did have a problem with the windows misting up badly and finished up driving with the heater on full and blowing on demist to the windscreen which only kept the centre clear. The side windows were wet by the time I reached the low lands and the snow cleared. Then the screen cleared easily and I could turn the fan to a slower speed. Anyone have an idea why this happened and how to stop it?

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Make certain the air control is on outside air... NOT recycling inside air..

Reply to
me!

Yes it was on outside air, I hardly ever use recirc.

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Check to see if your AC compressor is runnung while on defrost if not that is the problem.

Reply to
Coasty

Hiya,

We're on our 3rd Cruiser and they've all been the same. Either we get a clear screen or we get clear side windows but not both. It's a bit of a poor design really. We try not to get too soggy before we get into the car.

pottsy

A good PT Cruiser link

Coasty

Thanks, that could be a pointer as I had to get out a couple of times to clear the snow build up off the wipers and I was a lot whiter when I got back in the car.

A friend says a wet pollen filter could be a cause as well but does a PT Cruiser have one?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Make sure the A/C system is fully charged and working properly to remove the moisture from inside the vehicle.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well, even a tiny pinhole leak in the heater plumbing inside the car (core, pipes, possibly valve) can cause incredible amounts of very stubborn steam on the windows...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I wonder, might it not be better to use recirculate with the AC removing excesss moisture? Assuming the cabin is a closed system (not too far from true, maybe) then removing moisture will eventually reduce the relative humidity below a point that it will condense on the windows as frost or mist. A closed cabin has a finite amount of water and removing it will eventually accomplish the above, the question is: how closed is closed and how long to reduce the RH low enough. BF

Reply to
BF

Aircon has worked fine all year so I don't think that's a problem. OK British summers are not like hotter climes but the car would go pretty cold if the aircon was on full blast. Also the earlier comment about a pinhole in the heater matrix would show up all the time surely, plus the misting cleared on the windscreen once I got out of the snow. Side windows were still pretty wet until I dried them with a cloth. The only other thing I've just thought of is the fan speed control was set blow in the white area of the dial not the blue area which I would use for the aircon. Was this correct?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

If you are in recirculate, where is the water going to go?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The mode and recirculation controls are mechanically interlocked on this vehicle so that the recirc control cannot be placed in the recirc position if the mode is at or between the mix and defrost position

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

NO!

Using recirculate will cause the air inside the car to become extremely stale and wet.

Only if you stop breathing.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
philthy

Hiya,

If the dial is set to demist the the front screen the aircon operates to dry the air anyway, so it don't make any difference whether you use the aircon setting. Our car did the 'demist the front screen and leave the side windows misted' thing this very evening, it's one thing or the other, and I usually clear the front screen 'cos I try not to go sideways that often :)

pottsy

You needn't worry about sideways travel; the sunroof is provided as an option for those that do much sideways travelling.

Mind, it doesn't have a "demister", so it should be fully opened before attempting sideways travel.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel