1987 Jeep Wagoneer Limited Fuel Injected Inline Six Cylinder

I bought my Wagoneer recently. It ran fine, but lately it would not go over thirty five without choking out. I would have to let pressure off the accelerator for it to keep running. The other day I was driving home from work and it kept losing power and eventually died on me. I barely got it home. It will start o.k., but will not remain running. I replaced the fuel filter, plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and air filter. It starts, but will not keep running very long. I can not figure out the problem on my own. I know it is a good vehicle, so if someone can help me figure out the problem and get her running again I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You for any help or suggestions.

Reply to
Johnny641

Check fuel pressure with the appropriate fuel pressure guage, available at any auto parts store.

Check exhaust backpressure.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I did not make it to the parts store, working twelve hours. I will see if they are open Sunday though. I went out and started my Wagon and it started with a little coaxing. I did notice that the second injector in was leaking gas. Going to get a o-ring kit. I turned the injector a little and the engine reacted by staying running. It idles pretty good, but sounds as if it is missing? I put on those new parts but as I see they did not help much. I tried to drive it but as soon as the transmission put a load on the motor---the motor seemed to lose its power and want to cut out and die. I feel pretty ignorant that I can not pinpoint the exact problem. I do not mind putting on a new fuel pump, but I would like to be sure that is the problem. What will the exhaust backpressure tell me? I do appreciate your help and input----THANK YOU!!!!

Reply to
Johnny641

You don't just put on a new fuel pump without checking fuel pressure with the appropriate test guage.

If exhaust backpressure is high the cat is plugged. Generally you have an exhaust place test this.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thank You. You are right, I sure would not spend a $100.00 on a new pump if I do not have too. I am curious to see what the pressure is. It is nice of you to help me out and guide me in the right direction. I do very much appreciate it.

Reply to
Johnny641