Cambelt problems on PT Cruiser

First of all, I confess that I know nothing about mechanical matters - I always leave it up to the garage to do the servicing. I can top up the screenwash and that's about it!

Anyway, when I took my PT Cruiser for the 60,000 mile service I was told I'd need a new cambelt. They didn't have all the parts so I'd have to bring it back a few days later, which I did. Then they phoned me to say that they'd broken the tool to remove the pulley and I'd have to return the car a few days later, which again I did.

This time they phoned me mid afternoon to tell me that they were having really bad problems getting the pulley off because when Chrysler assemble the car they stick the pulley on with loads of Loctite, leaving the garage with the option of taking several hours to get the pulley off in one piece, or smashing it up and replacing the pulley as well, at a cost of around £150. In the end they didn't have time to do the whole job for me to have the car back that afternoon, so - guess what - I've got to take the car back on Monday morning to have the job completed. (They have stuck the pulley back on with a small amount of Loctite, but they don't anticipate any problems getting it off again)

Now, can someone with more mechanical knowledge than me (which isn't difficult) tell me whether this all sounds plausible, or is it a complete load of hogwash? Obviously I'm concerned about the inconvenience, and also the possible cost, bearing in mind how many hours they have been working on it. (one of the mechanics told me he THOUGHT there would be a standard charge, based on figures from Chrysler, but he couldn't confirm it)

TIA

Reply to
Slartibartfast

mic canic

HMMM The timing belt is recommended to be replaced at 96 months or 120,000 miles and that is schedule "A" and "B" and it sounds to me like someone doesn't know what they are doing, I would not take your vehicle back there again!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

2003 2.2 turbo diesel 90.000 miles
Reply to
maxpower

I had a similer problem on my 1995 neon 2.0L we had to grind and cut off the pully and acidently cut into the crank shaft and broke my heavy duty 3 arm pully and my timing belt broke on the highway causing valve damage.

Reply to
Chris Z