PT Cruiser tires

Ok, I give up, since August of 2002 I've had 8 Badyear Eagles on my PT -- 3 were taken out by a panic stop leaving "flat spots" , one was replaced when a belt separated, and now today ANOTHER with the belt separating!!! Im done with Goodyear forever, they couldn't give them to me for FREE now!!!!!

So, I've been hearing Cooper tires are pretty good, any other suggestions, or which type of Coopers???

Thanks; SRG

Reply to
SRG

deadbeat

What kills me is after the 300M/Goodyear fiasco Chrysler goes back to Goodyears. When will they learn. Someone needs to explain to their accountants that if the tires are hard as rocks after 1 year use the ride will suck and everyone will hate their Chrysler car.

suggestions,

Reply to
Art

Welcome to the "Goodyear Sucks" club. Membership: Everyone who's suffered through the OE tires on a Chrysler product.

I've hated every Yokohama I've ever used. Michelin makes some nice tires but they're all overpriced. BFGoodrich tires have been consistently very, very good to me, and they just introduced a new one, the Traction T/A. I took a look at the tests and buyer reviews at

was bowled over by the consistently happy reviews. Ordered a set formy Spirit R/T project. DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've had Cooper Touring SLE T-rateds on my Concorde for over a year and

25k miles and am extremely happy with them. I posted a few months ago that I thought one went out of round, and the dealer replaced it at no charge. Same shaking started again recently, and they determined that a weight had been thrown (the last 3/4 mile of my 38 mile trek to work every day is over a pot-holed gravel road x 2) - I suspect that is all that happened to the first one because they rebalanced them this time and everything's smooth as glass again.

The Touring SLE is treadwear rated at 620/70k miles, and all indications are that that is an honest figure - I can't believe how slowly they are wearing. $70-80 each (and many places give "free" rotation and balancing for the life of the tire for that price).

I'm sure there are some good so-called high-performance tires out there, but I had a very bad experience with the first ones I tried (became extremely noisy and at least one was definitely out of round), and discovered that (from what I understand) no (or almost no) manufacturers will cover tires in the "high peformance" category under warranty for anything short of self-destruction in an obvious way apparently because they assume they were abused because of the nature of the high-performance market. To my way of thinking, with hi-perf tires, you are typically paying a lot more money for a lot more noise and harshness with a fraction of the treadlife and no warranty protection if anything goes wrong for slightly more road-hugging and traction (compared to a decent touring tire like the Cooper SLE). Not a good value IMO.

You wouldn't believe how quiet and smooth the SLE's are. Plus very good road hugging and hydroplane resistance for considerably less money to get similar properties.

Bill Putney

I bought a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires to replace the Goodyears on my 99 Intrepid. I knew they were expensive at the time I bought them, but I have had some nasty experiences with 'bargain tires". It took a couple of months to get used to the Michelins, but now after about 6 months, I wouldn't trade them for any other tire. Great in snow or rain although they can be just a bit noisey on dry pavement. I feel they were worth the money.

Arthur

suggestions,

Reply to
Arthur Alspector

Reply to
John P

Thanks for all the replies, I've looked into Coopers, BFGoodrich, and Michelin. After hearing many suggestions from different sources, I choose Cooper LifeLine Touring SLE. I paid $85 each for the 2 tires to replace my front tires, and hope to do the rears soon. I've heard good things from many people about Cooper, BFGoodrich and the Michelin HydroEdge. Commen to almost all the comments was that they had problems with the Goodyears. It's a shame, what has happened to this good American company?? I replaced the front 2 tires, one of course, was the tire with the separating belt. Since my wife has Goodyears on her PT, I saved the "good" tire, in case we run into any more defect problems. It was ironic that the "good" tire, turned out to be the one I had to have patched a few weeks ago....

SRG

Reply to
SRG
040709 2000 - Daniel J. Stern posted:

I've got a set of Yokohama's on my 2001 LE and they are just fine. I went to a Discount Tire dealer in the area and they had a used set of Yokohama's there. The salesman said that they had around 100 miles on them. They were sold to an individual for his PT and he didn't like them and brought them back. They were wider than what I had on the car -- more rubber on the road. He offered me quite a discount, so I had them put on the car. No complaint. They have been on there for about a year now. The car suspension is stiff anyway, and with those tires, it is extremely stable on the road. Straight as a string, and not a quiver.

Reply to
indago

And many people are completely satisfied with tires (lights, seats, cars...) that are "just fine".

I'm not.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern