Towing with a PT?

I was told by my dealer that I can't tow with my PT (non-Turbo, automatic), but have seen trailer hitches designed specifically for this car. One seller of these told me that the PT is OK for "light towing". I'd like to possibly tow either a small sailboat for fairly short distances, or small popup trailer. Can I do this or not? Will it void my warranty? Thanks

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

Check your manual. If it can tow it will say in there.

automatic), but

Reply to
Art

As I understand, there is a max of 1000 lbs you can tow with a non-turbo PT. I know lots of people that tow small trailers or jet ski's. I think maybe the pop up trailer will be a bit much for it.

=================

automatic), but

Reply to
CopperTop

I hate to ask the obvious question, but what does your owner's manual say about towing?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm sitting upstairs at the computer, and the manual is out in the car :-) In the final analysis, I would definitely check the manual, but I thought I'd ask the nice folks here first.

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

...as opposed to the ones here that are not nice, eh? 8^)

Bill Putney

The manual for my 2001 Cruiser says the car will remain under warranty for non-commercial towing as long as 1) the max trailer load is 1000 lbs, 2) the max frontal area of the trailer doesn't exceed 20 sq. ft., 3) all starts are in 1st gear (for manual transaxles) and, 4) the trailer tongue weight doesn't exceed 10% of the max trailer load.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
doc

Or read the manual which would actually have the correct answer. It is amazing how lazy computers are making people these days...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Well, that rules out all but the smallest of tent campers (the ones designed to be towed my motorcycles) and utility trailers.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You'd think the incredibly stupid incorrect answers and flaming they get on usenet would discourage them. But I guess they're computer addicted. Myself included.

Reply to
Joe

As in much of life, ya gotta filter the good stuff out of the crap...

****************************** Got wood? Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair prices...
BREWERPAUL

Hiya all,

Got an '04 cruiser here in the UK, 2 litre petrol manual 'box. The manual gives weights and legal stuff but says nothing at all about voiding the warranty. For the last few weeks we've been pulling a large 2 birth caravan about with no problems at all (well, it's a bit slower!)

pottsy

Reply to
pottsy

hiya all,

and a bonus,

While the car was in for it's 1st service last weekend, I had a look at the towbar while the car was on the ramp. The bar has a removable hitch (don't wanna spoil the looks of the back end) and the main bit is a huge fat tube that fits inside the bumper the full width of the car. If somebody runs up the ass of the car now they will get destroyed, no crumple zones here.

didn't stop somebody hitting the front the other day tho', ah well, the paint shop beckons.

pottsy

Reply to
pottsy