PT Cruiser. Warning, check ALL brake pads !

I recently had noise in the right front brake and found that the inside pad was "frozen" and most of the wear was on the OUTSIDE pad -- down to the metal. Otherwise the pads were only worn about 50%. I checked them all and found the left rear had the same, but less severe, problem. (Note that the INSIDE pads have the wear indicator so you won't be warned when the outside pad wears down.) This car (a '91 w/64K miles) was stored winters the 1st 2 years of its life and driven mostly highway miles. I speculate that this low brake usage allowed corriosion to form (?). I suggest, at least for a low usage vehicle, you check ALL pads when checking brakes -- not just 1 or 2 wheels.

Reply to
jimhigh66

I too have a 2001 PT Cruiser. I found that it is a good idea after about two years and no more than 40,000 miles, to pull apart the calipers and pads for inspection. I clean the two caliper pin/bolts and use a synthetic lube on them and clean and put some synthetic lube on all areas on the caliper where the piston moves onto the rear inside pad and on surfaces of the caliper where the pads need to move in and out. I switched to ABADICO Ceramic pads on the front (no one makes ceramics for the rear) and replaced the front rotors to BRIMBO solid rotors. Now the car stops just fine, is quiet and the pads wear is even and not at all rapid. The cleaning and lubing of the pins is the most important step one can take, IMO. I also replaced one spring/tension plate used to hold the pads in place, since one front brake was squeaking. That fixed that problem. Too bad that part is not included with replacement brake pads. The dealer sells a pack with the plates and replacement rubber pin bushings for a few dollars.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Richard. I mic'd the front rotors and found them worn about 1/2-way down to the minimum with only about 50% wear on the original pads. I am NOT impressed with the PT brakes! Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Ceramic pads tend not to be as hard on the rotors and put out much less black dust.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard