PT problems

Bought new in '04 and so far-

-power steering fluid leak at 7,500 miles

-cylinders 1 and 3 misfiring at 8,000

-faulty ignition switch at 25,800(last week)

Newest one- strange noises and vibration from the front left side of the car, possibly clutch related according to a friend.

That's 4 problems in 3 years. The warranty expires today. I'll be selling it this year for sure.

Anyone else have similar problems with their PT?

Reply to
mazeofliquidsmoke

I've got a Voyager with the same 2.4L engine and probably the same axles, ignition switch and power steering as in your PT. I've had no problems except normal brake replacements for 92,000 miles.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Our PT had similar noise issues. the noise you hear is most likely caused by front wheel bearings. Our PT has 67,000 KM and have had to replace the bearings on both sides 6 months apart. another possibility is the lower control arm bushings.

Reply to
ALD

Thanks for the info. Of course Sunday when I drove to the dealer there was no noise to hear or vibration to feel. I think it only happens when it's 15 degrees out or under. The techs also didn't notice anything. They did however find that the thermistor isn't working properly. Since the warranty just ran out the replacement won't be free but they are cutting me a deal and picking up half the cost because I literally had it in there one day too late. I was also informed that although the front brake pads are fine(ceramic aftermarket) the rotors aren't doing so great. I had heard tales of PTs having weak brakes, guess now I know it's true, not that I'm going to have them replaced. Buying this car was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. 4-6 problems in 3 years/26,000 miles is bullsh*t. I can not afford to keep getting this car fixed now that the warranty is up. It's getting sold or traded in ASAP for a used Corolla wagon or Pontiac Vibe. I might miss the engine torque and uniqueness of the body but I'm not going to miss the problems and only getting 20mpg.

Reply to
mazeofliquidsmoke

Tell me a vehicle that isn't reported to have brake/rotor problems these days.

Bill Putney

Are you trying to tell me that most cars start to experience brake problems at 26,000 miles? If you are, well I disagree and if I'm wrong there are still the other issues I mentioned. Unacceptable.

Reply to
mazeofliquidsmoke

_______________________________________ LITTLE HIGH ON THE RPM? I have an 01 and it red lines at about 6,200 and then the governor kick in

Did have wires and plugs replaced under warantee due to milage dropping to about 20/23 It is a 5 speed and gets around 28 with 35# air in the tires. Few lights and stops in my normal driving routes. _______________________________________

Reply to
howard

Mine's a manual. 20mpg or so city. The EPA rating is 22 so 20 isn't that bad unless you compare it to something like the Corolla motor. Gas could easily be $5 a gallon in the next few years and I don't make that much money. But of course I bought the car knowing about what kind of milage I would be getting, that isn't really the issue here.

Reply to
mazeofliquidsmoke

I had missed the part about the 26,000 miles.

Bill Putney

Reply to
Tom Bavis