which engine--minivan?

Hi,

If I were to purchase a used 2002 or 2003 town and country or caravan, which engine is the most reliable? 3.3? 3.8? any others?

Reply to
Fredisg

jdoe

Hmm, I have found the 2.5 quite solid (though a bit small in a caravan) and never had problems with either of my 3.0's.

Reply to
PC Medic

The 2.5 has not been available in minivans since *1995*. The original poster is asking about an '02 or '03.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@alumni.engin.umich.edu:

Perhaps the guy means the new 2.4 liter 4 banger engine that's also used in the PT Cruiser, Stratus.

Reply to
Justin

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
jdoe

That is correct. The 2.5 was last used in 1995, and replaced with the

2.4 in 1996. The 2.4 in my Stratus is satisfactory. I wonder how it performs in a van.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Stratus weighs 3290lbs, Caravan weighs 4060.

Take your Stratus, put 770 lbs worth of weight in it (5 passangers and some cargo should do), and you know how the van will perform EMPTY.

Reply to
Bill 2

In other words it will move kinda like a dog dragging it's butt across the grass?

:-)

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Bill 2" wrote in news:pzPvc.53101$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

People usually don't throw a minivan around like they would a Stratus, so a 2.4 liter minivan might not feel like such a slug as you'd think. A minivan, being more top heavy, is usually driven more conservatively. Also, the Caravan's probably geared a lot lower to get more torque out of that 2.4. I drove a nice mint green 1999 2.4 Caravan (empty) last week. It felt powerful enough. Ain't no sports car though. I'd be happy with one, especially since I don't tow stuff with my minivan.

Reply to
Justin

Acceleration is the issue more so than speed, so being more top heavy is of little consequence. A 4 cylinder van will be a slug. Even my 3.3s don't set the world on fire. I'd get the 3.8 if I were buying new and had a choice.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Something like that.

Reply to
Bill 2

I partially disagree.

When going up the onramp, I would like the vehicle I'm driving to be upto highway speed by the time I get to the merge area. With a Stratus I'd probably get by with partial throttle. With a 2.4L Caravan, my foot would probably be at the floor, or close to it.

Reply to
Bill 2

I would expect it to be much better than my 1986 Caravan with the 2.6 Mitsubishi. It was really sluggish climbing hills. The 2.2 was also offered at the time. I regretted not waiting to get a 1987 when the V6 was first offered.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

I have a 98 with the 2.4 and I think the performance is OK,, but the van has a 3.10 gear in it,, but the 98 ,,,,is also only a 3 speed and not 4 soooo..

That said,, I haven't had anything but 4 cylinder cars in memory,, at least since my '71 Charger so, I am probably pretty used to anemic performance.. I cruise on the highway @ 72 no problem (Illinois and Eastern Wisconsin.... no hills) and it get about 27 mpg @ that speed with the air on and about a

900 lb load..

However this is not the venerable 2.5 or 2.2 and I have had to replace the headgasket (85000 miles) and the trans (about 95000miles same O same O, differential bearing crapping all over inside)..

But overall for a city car this is excellent and economical for a van.. small, easy to park.. (I think about that part) .. I usually get about 18mpg in the city,,, (real city, I live in Chicago) where my old Acclaims got about 22 so I think it's OK. Never used a drop of oil between changes (also about 3000 miles) until the headgasket failed, starts and runs very well..

So IMHO I think it is a great vehicle for city use and occasional travel...Mine gets well used, seats come out very easy, I can handle them myself.. (I'm an old fart not in such good shape) and it is really nice to have the extra room when needed to haul something... ( washer/dryer,, both?) and a few extra grandkids or whatever when you need to and economical enough to use for a daily driver..

Whew..

Ted

Reply to
Ted

Since you mention it,, same on ramp,, I can get on with about 1/2 throttle with the 2.4 van used the have to really put the boot into the old Acclaim....Had forgotten all about that..

Ted

Reply to
Ted

I certainly agree that (given a choice) the 3.8 would be the way to go. I would like to add though that my old 2.6 used to drag my family (6 of us) to the top of White Face Mountain several times a summer with out a problem. My old 2.5 always zipped up and down the Blue Ridge mountains just as effortless.

Reply to
PC Medic

I have been amazed that my 97 3.8 Caravan gets 27-28 miles per gallon and my 3.3 '92 Caravan got only 23-25 on the highway. In fact I (three peple plus luggage) just completed a 5000 mle round trip to Alaska in the '97 and got over 30 mpg average because we were obliged to drive at less than 62 mph.

Reply to
Rudy Allemann

I remember once we had our 2.5L K-car (probably same powertrain as your Acclaim), fully loaded with 5 passengers and a trunk full of stuff, towing a trailer on the highway (well actually that happened every summer), but once we were trying to pass someone at 120km/h (75MPH), up a slight grade. The foot was at the floor and the car was not picking up speed.

Now imagine trying to pull a minivan around with the Acclaim engine.

Reply to
Bill 2