Re: '89 Minivan Won't Start

Howdy:

> My '89 Voyager 2.5L TBI (K), Auto Trans, died > at a stoplight. The starter turned but seemed faster than normal and of > course the motor > wouldn't start. I had it towed home. > I had heard an odd clicking sound apparently from the driver's side of > the motor area while > idling in traffic before it died. > > I perhaps foolishly disconnected the neg, batt. > cable thinking this wouldn't affect codes. The > only code showing was 12. > > The van has 230K, current "used" motor 90K. > Thank's in advance for your help. > Rick.

I am familiar with the 2.2L in an 83 Chrysler and the 3.0L in an 89 Grand Caravan. For me, the electronics have been extremely reliable so I would guess that there is a possibility of a bad timing belt, IF the

2.5L has a timing belt.

The only other "quit" problem that I've had on the 89 was a bad fuel pump but it ran rough for a few seconds before it quit.

Reply to
eldred

sounds like the timing, belt or chain. Probably it has no compression, that is why it's spinning fast.

Reply to
Jersyjohn

wrote

The faster than normal crank is a sure sign of a broken timing belt. Because the valves aren't opening the engine is simply bouncing off the compression rather than pumping air.

You can replace the belt yourself with a good service manual and the right tools. The first time takes maybe a day and lots of patience and care. Pros can do it in less than an hour.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Dave Gower wrote:You can replace the belt yourself with a good service manual and the right

Yes, in less than a day, but do your homework first. First time I used a Harness manual on my late and departed '87 Reliant. The biggest trouble was getting the correct timing belt. When I bought it used it had a 2.5L engine in it so I bought that belt. Then the belt was too long and the grooves didn't match. The parts man looked carefully at the original belt and saw the original part number so gave me the same belt. Mine was a 2.2L not what the sales spec sheet stated.

Second toughest problem is with the passenger side motor mount.

Align the two timing marks and the top cam pulley properly and you are in business. Hand turn the engine over several times before being satisfied the initial alignment of the marks is correct.

Also make sure you have all the correct wrenches.....

First time it took me just over 3 hours (excluding the extra time with the "wrong" belt). Last time on my '84 Voyager it took about 1.5 hours. The PITA factor still is the motor mount.....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Pisichko