Re: 94 Dodge Grand Caravan "Clunking" Noise When Turning

If it were the front of the van, it'd be a little easier to help. Especially hearing that the ball joints have been replaced. The ball joint clamp bolt can be the culprit here. If it isn't torqued down properly, the ball joint pin can move up and down in the clamp and make such a knocking sound. Also, if you have a loose or broken motor mount you'll here such sounds.

If it's really com> I can't seem to determine the source of a noise in this van. The noise

occurs whenever the steering is changed abruptly, either left or > right. It is a deep "KA-CLUNK" sound. It seems to be coming from the > rear of the van when turning. Sometimes it will be a single "CLUNK" > but many times it is a double "KA-CLUNK" sound. Sometimes I will hear > a single "CLUNK" when the rear, especially the left rear tire, strikes > a bump in the road. > > At first I thought it might be the spare tire swinging from it's chain > beneath the van. I could move it with my foot, so I tightened it > further. No improvement. > > Then, I thought it might be loose wheel bearings in the rear. There > was a small amount of play in each but I tightened them further, still > leaving a minor amount of free play. No improvement. > > The exhaust system can be shaken to the extremes, back and forth > without contacting other components. > > The shocks have been replaced, the ball joints have been replaced, the > struts have been replaced. > > The leaf springs and axle appear secure at all points. > > What could be causing this "KA-CLUNK" on quick turning? -- Thanks.
Reply to
David J. Allen

Likewise, from the front it could be one of the CV joints.

Hmmm...

L>If it were the front of the van, it'd be a little easier to help.

Reply to
cloaked

Here's a thought:

Someone suggested that it might be worn bushings in the leaf springs. He suggested that I hose 'em down with WD40 and see if it had any effect on the noise.

Well, it was rather dry here, but we have just come through a few days of rain. Guess what? I can not get it to made the noise! Come to think of it, I had a '92 Grand Voyager that used to make clunking noises from the suspension under dry, dusty summer periods.

I will jack it up and try to inspect the bushings.

Reply to
HKEK

I appears to be a bad bushing in the leaf spring at the shackle on the drivers side. When I have it replaced, I will have the others inspected.

Reply to
HKEK