Re: 85 turbo cv boot?

|Anybody know offhand which quick-type boot would fit on the outer driverside cv |boot? Mine just split. thanks...Frenchy

Aw, don't use a quick-boot. It isn't that hard to repair it properly with an OE-style boot. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Well I did buy the quickie one but after finding out was wrong size, i just said screw it and went with pulling the axle and putting a regular boot on. But boy it still wasn't worth it, after I had it pulled apart I started noticing ads saying repair places would change a boot for as little as 49 bucks including the parts. So I only saved about 35 bucks and spent hours in grease and sweat, and cleaning/greasing the joint is a friggin mess. One tip I'd pass along is that to pry the lower arm and ball joint out of the knuckle, use a very long crowbar and leverage it at the arm pivot, not at the ball joint, much easier...Frenchy

Reply to
frenchy

You should call and find out exactly what they do. The $49 price leads me to believe they use a split boot and never pull the axle. I can't see anyone making money pulling the axle, repacking the joint with the proper grease, putting on a new boot, and reassembling everything for only $49.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The CV joint boot repair is not much fun. I just buy a new axle ($70), though you can get bum axles sometimes.

Prying the ball joint pin out of the steering knuckle clamp and getting it back in is tough, but is made much easier if you loosen and lower the sway bar and also if you have a helper.

Reply to
David Allen