63 Valiant dash

Can the plastic instrument fascia be successfully painted using chrome paint? The color has all worn off the plastic and I'd like to make it look nice as I'm sure NOS ones are nonexistent. Any advice?

Reply to
Dan Streb

If you're very, very, very careful to mask off areas that mustn't be painted, yes it can. It won't look like new, but it will look presentable.

Mr. G's Chrome's ad in Hemmings has for years featured a rotating collection of early '60s Chrysler A- and B-body dash parts, including '63 Valiant pieces. If you want the job done so the pieces look like new, they or an outfit like them are the ones to see.

While you have your dash apart, clean the gauge faces with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls (everything's safe except the odometer numbers, which will run, so be careful around them), and repaint the gauge needles with fluorescent red-orange from a model/hobby shop.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Daniel, what do you recommend for cleaning the clear plastic that covers the gauges?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

About 15 years ago there was a place in Michigan (not sure exactly where, maybe Westland or Warren) that did plastic chrome plating. Had the entire dashboard of my '67 Monaco done there including the plastic part that goes between the door and the arm rest pad. Once that's done you mask the chrome where necessary and spray the rest of it black. Looks just like new.

There must be more places like that now vs then (?)

Reply to
MoPar Man

The plastic polish that's sold for clearing up hazed plastic convertible top backlites.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern