Re: 98 concorde

when I turn the wheel all the way right or left it sticks there and

> almost feels like somethings binding (like if you were in 4 wheel > drive) or the tires are skipping. when before it would return to the > center position (or at least attempt to) when you let go of the wheel. > any ideas on what is wrong? >

Did this just suddenly start happening or did you have an accident of some kind. The first and obvious thing would be to put the car on jackstands and have an assistance crank the wheel until it binds, then get under the car and see if there's some kind of mechanical interference.

If not then your rack and pinion probably has some failure.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

No accident, it just started. I put it up on jack stands and turned the wheel both directions and besides not attempting the auto centering (which i think the wheels have to be on the ground for that anyways) i didnt notice anything. no skipping or binding, no strange sounds, etc. I checked all the fluids and such aswell. even drove slowly w/ the hood up walking along side the car to see if I could see/hear anything unusual (friend driving ofcourse) and besides the symptoms I couldnt find anything.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

Check for a damaged inner fender touching and interfering with a steering component. I kind of remember hearing of that happening once on either the first generation or second generation LH models..... not sure which.

Reply to
Art

Also look for a main battery cable catching on the pasenger side tie rod assembly - there was a problem with the tie rod rubbing that cable and shorting out on '98/'99 - not sure if it actually caught on it though. To go along with the other two posts, probably a problem with the rack itself or something hitting/catching on the very exposed tie rods.

Bill Putney