Re: Bizzare Starter Motor Problem

TOP POST

Sounds like a fire hazard to me...

shakiro

Scroll down for diagnosis. Textbooks and FSM of no value. > > Symptom: This is an intermittant starter malfunction. Most of the time, > when the key is turned to "start" the engine cranks normally. Sometimes, > however, there is a momentary delay before starter engagement. During this > delay, there is no sound from the starter or solenoid. The delay can range > from a fraction of a second to several seconds, but the engine always > cranks. Sometimes it helps when the key is switched several times. When > the key is in the start position, the engine warning light illuminates and > the dash voltmeter dips. The engine is an inline four, turbocharged, fwd > configuration. What caused this odd fail to crank difficulty? Answer > below. > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > x > > The starter motor heat shield. The heat shield is a composite of > insulation fiber with a heavy foil relector. When the shield deteriorated, > the foil came into contact and shorted the relay-actuated solenoid power > input terminal. When the switch goes to start, the solenoid terminal is > partially or fully grounded, depending on the corroded foil surface > condition. The unfused solenoid power input would arc or melt a hole in > the foil, at which time enough current would feed into the solenoid to > actuate it and close the starter motor contacts. From engine operation, > the loosened foil would move about, sometimes shorting the terminal and at > other times, not, causing a difficult-to-diagnose problem. When the > problem was resolved, the foil was full of burned spots and holes. The > starter and terminals are not readily visible for mechanic's inspection or > attachment of multi-tester leads in this model, making the intermittant > even harder to find.
Reply to
shakiro

There is a set of copper contacts in the starter. Then you engage the starter solenoid by turning the key, these contacts slam into each other while one of them is turning. Over time these parts wear and pit. Eventually, they become so worn down that they do not always make contact, or may not make contact right away.

Look around your local area. I found a place near me that rebuilds starters and alternators. They do NOT do re&re. So if you take the starter out and give it to them, they will take it apart and fix it. I had a mobile mechanic to the re & re for, IIRC, $30. They pulled apart the starter. Sure enough, copper contacts - 35 cents. And about $40 labour to machine one of the internal parts smooth again, and re-assemble the starter. So total cost was about $80 parts, labour, taxes. oh, and a one year warranty. Not too shabby.

And, since I got it done before the starter totally died, I was never left stuck somewhere (saved a tow charge! :)

hth

Reply to
NewMan

did you actually read his post?