Re: The New Industrial Relations in the Automobile Industry

>quickly. Seventy years of labor history at the Bid Three has been turned

>>on its head. These negotiations are three distinct confrontations and >>their outcomes will determine which companies can stay afloat in this sea >>of international competition, which workers will keep their jobs and which >>retirees will keep their benefits. There are no happy endings.

Oh, that's not true. Just the fact that you can have a $30 an hour discrepancy with domestic competition shows that the union workers still make way too much. The mismatch alone is more money than 95% of the world makes. They were paid 5 times too much back in the 70's, and now they're only paid 3 times to much. No problem. Anybody with a manufacturing job in the USA should be very happy.

The happy endings were for everybody who got out back when the pensions were still good, and also for everybody who's too smart to spend all his money on shiny stuff.

That's true in every industry, not just the auto industry. It's bad that they're losing market share, but the problem exists for everybody, whether you're losing share or not. People used to have 10 children, now they have

1.8. We're selling products into a shrinking market, with a shrinking work force.
Reply to
Joe