What Ford should do about the Vette

Simple; Release a new Cobra using the 427 small block they developed recently. -Rich

RichA opined in

Or Nothing...
Or maybe find a way to reduce the price of the GR1
They could bracket the vette and everyone would be happy.
There's a limited market

Stop building instant collectables and start building performance cars of the vette class to market demand.

Would that be competition for the base C6 or the Z06?

What is the base C6 going to be? The current 400hp model? They should ignore it and concentrate on making a Vette killer at a lower price point. Handling might be a problem. -Rich

Yes - it's the 400/400 6.0 liter LS2.

180's right IMO - At this point, Ford can't possibly come up with anything to seriously compete with the Corvette.
Joe wrote:

What about using the '03 390/390 Roots-blown 32v 4.6 DOHC in a dropped, tightened up new Mustang with a T56 and an active stability control system? It wouldn't have to out outrun it on the top end; I mean, 8th grade stat geeks might bicker, but what it if could run the Vette on a strip and a road course, be cheaper, and more user-friendly too boot? I think Ford has a few options outside the exotic GT to compete with the Vette for less with the Mustang platform. "They have the technology"...
And the PR, Mustangs outrunning Vettes again...

--
Wound Up

1967 Mustang Coupe, restored & modified

...but not the will or the incentive.

Now that's an interesting sidebar. What years did Mustangs outrun Corvettes? I don't know, I'm asking.
Joe wrote:

Unfortunately true.

I was thinking about this. I know there at least a couple. I thought 1968, but don't think so on second thought... It would take some research, given the history of both. Maybe the '95 351R... hmmm...
This is perfect timing to make it happen. Horsepower wars redux.

--
Wound Up

1967 Mustang Coupe, restored & modified

I beat most same year Vettes in my 1988 LX 5.0. -Rich

stability
the
Factory, Rich. Anybody can tweak any car to beat a Corvette given enough time and money.

My car was dead stock. From 0-50, the Vette had maybe a half car lead, from then on, it was always the same, they'd fall behind. Top speed, I have no idea but the LX would hit 148mph. -Rich

with

end;

run
Ah, I overlooked the '88 disclaimer. Now I'm wondering what the times were for an '88 Corvette.
something wonderfully witty:

If the driver was a retard, yeah I'll give you that.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

All of them? It's possible, I guess. What I do remember was that there was nothing on the road (apart from exotica) stock that could beat the Mustang then. When I got my 93, it was a different story. -Rich
something wonderfully witty: <snip>

Well your `88 was a 4.9L V8 rated at 225hp unless it was a Ca model which I think had 10 less HP. That year Vette was a 5.7L V8 rated at 240hp and weighed in at 3229 #'s. In 93 the Mustang went down to 205hp and the Vette was up to 300.
I guess it depends on what type of racing you are talking about, but the 88's should have been fairly equally matched starlight line cars with the only true variable being the driver.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

I think the stripped-down LXs (like mine) weighed about 3000lbs. Compared to my Mach-1 which weighs around 3500. Now the Vette is 400lbs less than the Mustang. -Rich

A cost reduced, built for production version of GT.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in Joe wrote:

In so many words, a stripper? Or a Cobra?
Ford won't build a stripper because there's not enough market for one. It wouldn't compete with the Corvette anyway - the 'Vette has some very nice toys in it.
As for the Cobra (or Cobra-type), Ford's already nixed it.

No. A cost reduced version. Instead of say a billet windshield washer bottle, a simple plastic from a mustang or crown vic for instance. Other parts can be made by less expensive processes, etc. The car will probably be heavier and not handle quite as well, but it will cost significantly less to build. Version may not even be the right word since what will result will be a different car.

For production means adding the various items needed for a production volume vehicle. Again, with borrowing from the rest of the line.
GM can do it, Ford can do it if they want to.
Ford however is still into instant collectable marketing so they won't.