Replacement of fluid in Torque converter

1999 was the first year for ATF+4.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

What is so hard for you to understand about "The newer fluid can replace the older fluid, but the older fluid cannot replace the newer fluid"?

That's right.

You're paying more than double what you should. Find another source.

This past week, I posted a reference to the exact publication that contains this information in *GREAT* detail. Here it is again:

ATF+4 has much greater thermal stability, much more consistent frictional characteristics across a much wider temperature range, a lower pour point for shift consistency at low temperatures, and greater resistance to shear-induced deterioration. Any of that sound trivial to you?

They're not.

You've got all the information you need, you're just trying to rationalize your cheapskate behavior. +4 is the correct fluid for your transmission,

+3 is not. But hey, it's your transmission. Save a few bucks now, pay a few thousand later, and if that makes you feel smart...go for it!
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Was the change to ATF+4 not also a mid-'99MY change?

Bill Putney

Well, I just talked with both of my local dealerships' parts and service departments. They both said that they use +3 for my vehicle, the 99 Concorde, even the ones that have the manual that says to use the +4.

He said that the +3 better be good enough, because it's been in my vehicle since the LAST time it was serviced!

Well, it runs fine and shifts perfectly. What more could I ask, except maybe for it to continue this way for another 100k miles.

I think that I'll run it as is for 30k, and then on the next change, I'll go ahead and go to the synthetic +4. Price is not an issue, just effort.

The service department associate said that they use the +3 for all of their fluid changes. The only difference is longevity. They confirmed that the

+4 was the "leave it in" option.

The service department also verified that the transmission was mechanically the same in a 98 and a 99 Concorde. As I was guessing.

Then, my personal mechanic told me that he only uses Mercon V in EVERYTHING! I mean, this guy is REALLY good, and he's telling me this. He said that he's never had a problem with any cars serviced this way. And he also said that he only uses aftermarket filters. Wow, what an eye opener.

By the way, the fluid was $4.80/qt. Not too bad at all.

Reply to
mysticolor

As far as I know, ATF+4 was factory fill on all '99 models.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And people wonder why their Chrysler product transmissions fail with alacrity "even though I always had it serviced at the dealer!".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I wouldn't worry too much about it. ATF+IV is an incremental improvement over ATF+III, not a night-vs-day difference. Change the fluid, use +IV, and don't worry too much about a little residual +III lurking in there.

mysticolor wrote:

Reply to
Steve