Replacement tires for 300C AWD, where iarethe pressure sensors?

I'm about to replace the tires on my 300C AWD. Where are the pressure sensors located? Do I have to be concerned that the tire people will mess
them up or that they will remove them?
Also does anyone have any opinions about brands? I'm leaning towards the Michelin - Primacy™ MXV4 because that's what Costco is selling but if something is noticeably better.
BTW I only have 33K on the car but the Continentals that it came with have the life expectancy of a mayfly. I got notice of a class action settlement on them but it was limited to < 30K miles.
Private Schvantzkopf wrote:

The Primacy MXV4 is at the top of this list:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS
(Grand Touring All Season)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4
It's tied with the General Altimax HP:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP
The MXV4 appears to be a relatively new tire (based on the survey milage).
The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity and Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge are also highly rated in that catagory.
The MXV4 is a relatively expensive tire (at Tirerack.com). Prices vary $140 - $180 depending on size (I don't know what the 300C has for tire-size but I'm thinking 17 or 18"). If I was going to shell out $150 for a tire it certainly wouldn't be for a "Grand Touring" type.
The General Altimax is significantly cheaper ($80 - $100).
What size do you need - and what is Costco selling it for?
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:36:54 -0400, MoPar Man wrote:

tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXV4
tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP
Costco is selling them for $173 but there is an $80 coupon this week so it comes to $153, that includes installation, balancing and lifetime services.
What about my tire sensor question?
Full Quoter Private Schvantzkopf wrote:

$150 is way too expensive for a lo-performance, hi-milage touring tire.
Why don't you look at the General Altimax HP?

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/wheel-tire-discussion/19442-tire-pressure-sensors.html
Useful information from that post below. Take-home message:
1) Most 300C's have this tire pressure system.
2) Sensors are located in valve stem.
3) Sensors have integrated battery that will eventually run down.
4) Driving the car without a sensor will cause irritating warning signal from dash board.
5) Replacement sensors will cost at least $40 each.
Executive summary:
Chrysler 300C tire replacement just got $40 more expensive (per tire). Extra cost is the valve stem.
Still want to buy those $150 costco tires???
----------- May - July, 2006
Question: Do you have to have the sensors? Whats happens if you dont have them? Will it just show up as a check engine light, or just not give me the tire pressure?
Answer: Yes, you have to have them if your vehilce has them installed. You can not disable the EVIC to not let you know that your wheels have no air in them. You will get a display on your left side of your dash with what kinda looks like the bottom cut away of a tire that is low and a dinging from the dash that you can not disable, not even with a StarScan. If want to see what it is let some air out of your one of your tires below about 27 pounds and take it for a drive and you will see. It is very annoying.
Question: How much do these sensors cost?
Answer: I purchased mine for Mopar Superstore, paid $29.500 each plus a little freight. The local 5 star stealerships wanted $49.00 each plus special order charges. List is only like $42.00 each.
Question: Do all 300C's have these sensors?
Answer: The first half of 2005 production did not have this feature so not all 300C's need to be concerned.
Question: I have new wheels on order and need to get an extra set. Are the sensors located in the valve stem or how are they installed?
Answer: Yes, the sensors are an intergal part of the valve stems. The major part of them goes inside the wheel.
Question: How do these work? Are they pre-programmed to work on a specific vehicle? Are they keyed to a specific location? I know there are sensors in the wheelwells but if we rotate the tires, will the EVIC show the correct readings?
Answer: Rotating the tire has no effect on the sensors. They use a close distance wireless signal to communicate with the receivers. When I ordered mine they asked for my VIN# to get the right sensors. They may have several different frequencies that they use thus the need for the VIN# to identify the frequencies you car uses.
I had one sensor changed, and the EVIC showed that wheel as 0 when I drove. However it did see the sensor for it. At a traffic light, I turned the car off, opened the door (some of the systems don't shut down until you do that) then closed it and restarted and it took the new sensor in to the EVIC and reported correctly. Smart system. I have the sensors in both my wheel sets and the new wheels took just fine.
I was told that the sensors are designed to be replaced when the tires are replaced. They are sealed units, so the battery will die eventually and isn't replacable (easily). They are activated when the wheel's spinning at a certain rate. (Saves on battery)
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:53:16 -0400, MoPar Man wrote:

That seems to be what they cost. The NTB store is selling them for $179, the Goodyear Assurance for $152 and the Continental for $157. Obviously I'm never going to buy Continentals again, 30K miles on a set of modern tires is inexcusable. I've always had good luck wit Goodyears so that's a possibility.
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

You haven't said what size, but you can buy the Cooper CS4 - an excellent touring tire - all day long for $110 (grand total out-the door price) in 225/60-16 and similar common sizes.
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:53:16 -0400, MoPar Man wrote:

I got the Michelin's at Costco, I'm pretty happy with them, the car is definitely handling better then it was. BTW the Costco price is all inclusive, it includes putting them on, tire disposal, balance, lifetime rotation and balancing, road hazard insurance and nitrogen (not that that's worth anything). All of those things are extra for the tire dealers. Costco came in at $630 for the set (with the coupon), NTP couldn't to better than $725 and Sullivan quoted $775 plus $18 a tire for road hazard insurance.
Private Schvantzkopf wrote:

To each his own. You could have done better.

After how many miles so far???
5? 25?

When your pressure sensors run down and you need to replace them, will costco swap in new ones for free?
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:47:28 -0400, MoPar Man wrote:

Are you asking if Costco would do the labor on sensor replacements for free, I doubt it. I can't imagine anybody doing that. I assume that when I need new sensors I'll have the Chrysler dealer put them in.
The fact is that it was a hell of a deal compared to everybody else. It's also more convenient for doing the tire rotations since I do all my shopping there anyway. If you figure that the tires should last 5 years, a twice a year rotation would be worth about $300.
If you are happy with the deal, then that is all that matters. For the record, I have found Michelin to be expensive, but the best value for my money since I hang onto cars for around 12 years. The last set of Michelins lasted 60K+ miles on my Minivan and they still had some tread left after 6 years. The Goodyear Eagles they replaced were completely bald at less than 3 years and 32K miles.
Bob

Top-poster and Full-Quoter Bob Shuman wrote:

No, that's not all that matters.
He may have gotten the lowest price around for installing a set of shitty tires, but for the same price he could have gotten much better tires.

Bragging that you drive around on bald tires isin't necessarily flattering...
MoPar Man,
Thanks for sharing your opinions on shitty tires, top posting, quote inclusion, and your outlook on life! :)
For the record, I wasn't bragging about getting 32K milers out of my OEM Goodyear Eagle tires either, just noting my poor experience.
Bob

I agree. On the longer term Michelins are the best deal and they are safer as well. I've bought Michelins since 1978, although since then I've had other make tires on new cars, all those had to be replaced prematurely.
Josh S wrote:

Can you cite objective material supporting this "safety" claim - other than TV advertizing showing a baby riding around in a tire?

My own experiences, comparing 25 years of Michelins to 25 years of crappy GoodYear, Firestone, etc. tires. Don't believe me if you don't want to, I know what I'll buy next. Interesting that Chrysler puts Michelins on many of their upscale cars, well they did before the bean counters took over.
Full Quoter Private Schvantzkopf wrote:

I'm making a sarcastic comment that (a) Chrysler did a bone-head thing by not allowing owners to deactivate the pressure sensor system, and (b) that by not installing new sensors that you too will soon experience the joy of dealing with the system and forking out more money to install them on your mediocre new tires.

You paid too much for what are low-performance tires.
Getting a good deal on shit still means you have shit.
Wait till you factor in paying for someone having to pop the tires off the rims to install new pressure sensors. Have you factored in that cost?

A floor jack and 1/2 hour of my time in the spring and fall and I've swapped my tires.
Can't change your own tires???

Not can't, won't. I have no interest in doing any type of automobile maintenance myself, not even oil changes. In my youth I did my own tuneups, which was back in the era that you did tuneups every spring and fall, but I stopped doing that when traded in my 72 Maverick for my 80 Chevy Citation (what a piece of crap that car was). I did my own oil changes until the mid 90s but with the advent of 10 minute oil change places I stopped doing that also. The only thing I still do myself is build my own computers, and I do that for fun not to save money.
if i were you I'd trust those quick lube places as far as i could throw them......

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:25:40 -0400, rob wrote:

What's not to trust? It's a simple task that they perform all day long, it's pretty hard to screw up. I use Mobil 1 which comes from bottles not from a barrel so they aren't going to be slipping some low grade oil in. I've been using the same place for 10 years and I've never had a problem.
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

That they use the correct oil. That they use the correct AMOUNT of oil. That they put it in the right hole (engine oil in the transmission anyone?) That they drain the old oil. That they don't strip the drain plug. That they tighten the filter. That they don't OVER tighten the filter. That they put the right fluids in the differential and transmission. That they don't overtighten those fill plugs. The list goes on for pages.... I just got through un-screwing a long list of things that Jiffy Lube (used religiously by the previous owner) screwed up on my Cherokee.

So's flipping burgers.... how many times does your lunch order get screwed up?