Tires for 1996 Avalon

I'm looking for tires and I'm confused.

I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon 4-Door XLS Sedan and live in South Jersey so we get some snow and ice, but not usually too much for too long. It's for my daughter and the car isn't driven very much or very far. I just want 4 decent inexpensive tires.

I went to Sams Club and asked what they had. The printout showed a Michelin P205/65R15 92H XGTH4 and a BF Goodyear 92H Pro.

I wanted to do some research on them and asked for additional information so he made a copy of the tags on the tires for me. But when I got home, I noticed the first tag said Michelin Pilot XGT H4 but it also says 92H. Other info is BSW/FN NAPN 0046290 CAI 023513 UPC 0 86699 98009 0 Treadwear 400 Traction A Temp A. BUT, Michelins site

says this tire is Not available in my vehicle's original equipment size. The Michelinman.com site suggests either the Energy MXV4 Plus or the Energy MXV4 S8.

Wait, it gets more confusing. The other tag he copied says BF Goodrich Touring T\A Pro Series BSW/FN 92T (yes, T not H) 48013 CAI 485870 NAPN

0048013 DOT URF711 UPC 0 86699 48013 2 Treadwear 640 Traction A Temp B. BUT, when I go to the BFGoodrich site and enter this car, it says There are no Goodrich original equipment tires matches for a P205/65R15 92H.

Why wouldn't the Goodrich site have anything for this car? Did the Sams guy copy the wrong tag? Why don't the manufacturers sites match with what the Sams guy told me?

If someone could set me straight and maybe make a recommendation, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Joy

Reply to
Joy

I have the Michelin energy MCV4 Plus tires on our Lexus LS 400. They seem to be OK.

As for the discrepancies in the tire manufacturer sites, my guess is that their sites list tires that are sold through their dealer network, and Sams has a different deal with the tire manufacturers.

tirerack.com has good info and reviews on tires.

Reply to
Ray O

Check tirerack.com like Ray suggests.

My personal bias is that even though car is older, cheapest tires ae NOT a good tradeoff compared to daughters safety. Go at least a mid range - I prefer Michelin's for past 20 or so years Have them on 02 Highlander and 05 Avalon.

Ron

Reply to
ron

================= Compare tirerack.com Yokohama

Reply to
nospampls2002

I used to buy the MXV4. They're good tires. After reading a tire review in a leading consumer magazine, I tried the Falken Ziex ZE-512, which were about half the price, and have been very happy with them. They're cheap enough where the road hazard insurance cost would buy a new tire anyway, so you might just skip it. Sears has them if you can't find them anywhere else. Like the Michelins, they are a little softer and wear a little faster.

Reply to
Fishface

Here's a link to them at Sears:

Fishface

Here is some more information I found.

Some, if not all, tire manufacturers make special tires for places like = =

Costco, Sams, WalMart, etc. which is why I couldn't find certain tires o= n =

their web sites.

Nobody explained what all the NAPN and CAI numbers mean and I couldn't =

find specs on some tires such as the Goodrich Touring T\A Pro series. =

Since price seems to have little relationship to performance, I'm not =

buying a tire I can't see reviewed at Tirerack.com.

The Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 and Plus didn't rate very well although that= 's =

all Michelin offers for this size on their site.

Thanks for the info on the Falken although I've never heard of them. But= =

that doesn't mean anything.

Thanks for noting it's not wise to skimp on tires! I'm still amazed tha= t =

higher price doesn't mean better tire.

I wanted to get them from Sams, if possible, since they include mounting= , =

balancing, free repairs and balancing and rotating and have great prices= .

So... I went for the BF Goodrich Traction T/A

Thank you

Joy

Reply to
Joy

I am VERY happy with Sam's.

They even use a torque wrench to tighten the wheels.

It is very convenient if you are a small business member, as you can get there at 7 am before the maddening crowd...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida