Solution for Repeatedly Blown Engine Fuse

Thought I'd post this for everybody's info...should they have a similar problem...

A few weeks ago my wife was driving our '97 Grand Caravan Sport and it simple died in the middle of the road. Upon inspection at the shop, the 20AMP engine fuse had blown. The techs ran through all their known troubleshooting items, all the service bulletins, swapped out several parts (starter - apparently another known cause of blown engine fuses), but still it kept blowing the engine fuse when trying to crank the engine. We/they knew it had to be a short somewhere....but where....?

Turns out it was the wiring from one of the upstream O2 sensors, which had fallen down from it's harness and was resting on the exhaust. The wire coating had melted, allowing the wire itself to make contact with the metal exhaust pipe and shorted the system, blowing the fuse.

It was a needle in a haystack...but it's something to consider...

E. Reed

Reply to
E. Reed