Spark Plugs on 99 3.8L Caravan

After looking at this I am thinking

Either remove the windshield wiper cowl or the manifold to get the rear plugs. Is there a preference? Why? Any better way?

Reply to
StevJensen

jdoe

I have the same van and engine ('99 3.8L). I've managed to get them all, including the two difficult ones in the back without removing either. YMMV depending on the length of your arm and the size of your hands. It was a PITA though. I know others have also managed so that is why I persisted despite the obstacles...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I too changed the plugs without removing the intake manifold or the wiper cowl. It is a long reach and a tight squeeze, but not too bad. I did remove the altenator and bracket to get to the #1 plug.

Reply to
David J. Allen

"jdoe" snipped-for-privacy@msn.com "Bob Shuman" snipped-for-privacy@removethis.lucent.com "David J. Allen" dallen03NO_SPAM@sanNO_SPAM.rr.com

Much thanks to all. Pretty much confirms what I thought. Will probably end up trying the cowl approach. I think the AWD I forgot to mention plugs up the bottom pretty well and flexibility has gotten a bit to the chancy side. That is one tight looking squeeze and by braille task otherwise. I am impressed that it can be done.

Reply to
StevJensen

I have access to a hoist and easy to do from up under. Yes, EVEN the AWD. I have done MANY of them.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Richard Benner Jr) wrote

No hoist. Could ramps work? I suppose I could run it up and take a looksee easy enough. Thanks for the additional option.

Reply to
StevJensen

Ramps will work.

All three sparkplugs are reachable with your left hand as long as your arm/hand is skinny enough to fit up there.

There is usually some nasty casting flash on the top of the rear exhaust manifold, so you'll want to protect your left forearm as best you can, (I use my Nomex heat sleeve) otherwise you'll be tearing some meat off your arm...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Neil Nelson snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Thanks.

With all the grunting, dexterity and associated flesh loss issues on either the bottom or top braille methods.

Would it be easier on the body (and quicker overall) just to pull the wiper cowl. That looks like a 10 min job to pull, 2 bolts, 1 plug, 1 hose and lift. Then you get a fairly straight shot at the works, from what I can see.

Am I missing something here?

Successful accomplishment by these methods seems quite impressive to me, but I'm out of training and not up for the X-games.

Reply to
StevJensen

Ya do what works best for you...

My MO is; the less I take apart, the less that can go wrong.

Reply to
Neil Nelson