speedometer&odometer stopped on 1995 5- speed Dodge Stra

My speedometer and odometer recently stopped working on my car (1995

5-speed dodge stratus). I have replaced the speed sensor twice with no luck. My new mechanic is telling me that the answer lies in a small part in my transmission that needs to be fixed/replaced. I have already spent quite a bit of money with no luck and am afraid to have the mechanic take my transmission out just to tell me that the problem is somewhere else. He wants to charge me an arm and a leg for this, but I am not so sure that this will fix my problem.. Is anyone out there familiar with this problem or one similar to it? Please help!!!!!
Reply to
Katt1