Starter

Ok so I don't know the whole scoop here but we've been trying to replace my starter in my 01 neon. Should not be too difficult, right. NO, dumb starter is not coming out! Top bolt came out easily enough but the bottom one is not going to come out because it was put in on the wrong side. I guess that must have been done prior to the engine installation.

This link is to my blog where you will find a pic of the stupid thing.

Any help, suggestions, ideas etc. are appreciated and encouraged!

Thanks!

Reply to
deeners

philthy

The bolt apperas to possibly be tilted/cross-threaded. Anyway - how about drilling into the thread tip end - hopefully the bit will grab enough to turn it right on out - since you're going into the back end, a right hand bit is perfect for spinning it out - sharp bit, slow speed - you want it to grab. Use a large bit (larger than 1/8"), but not so large it goes anywhere near the threads even if it goes in a little off center. If it's not cross-threaded, this should definitely work. If cross-threaded, naybe not. Try to relieve any binding on the bolt by lifting the starter up - increase the chances of the bolt turning.

Bill Putney

I would but the other bolt back in and tight it nicely. It will take some load from the second bolt. It might help you take it out easily, or sell the car and let the second owner send us another email. ;)

Reply to
uccoskun