Tax and Title charges in Ohio Chrysler dealership

Bought a used Town and Country van for my wife on Friday night and was quoted 22,000 plus tax and title by the Chrysler dealership.

Ok - good deal.

Then on the final bill of sale was a $100 charge for handling fee; curries for title, paper work etc.

Was told that this was required by all dealers in the state of Ohio, and is part of the "tax and title" fees they are entitled to collect.

Was late, wasn't in the mood to argue at that point and my wife and kids were looking at me like - lets get the heck out of here and drive the new van home.

So I rolled over and paid it.

Question: Did I get a snow job and they got an extra $100 to cover their costs?

Steve

Reply to
Stash

I posted the following in response to a similar question last November. It applies to Illinois, but I imagine that Ohio has something similar...

--------------------

---------- DOCUMENTARY SERVICE FEE FOR 2003: $52.57

The maximum documentary service fee for 2003 will be $52.57. This is an approximate 2.2% increase in the 12-month Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers issued by the U.S. Department of Labor. The "doc fee" is subject to Retailers Occupation Tax as part of the gross receipts of the sale of the car.

Pursuant to 815 ILCS 375/11.1, every retail installment contract under the Act shall contain or be accompanied by a notice containing the following information:

"DOCUMENTARY FEE. A DOCUMENTARY FEE IS NOT AN OFFICIAL FEE. A DOCUMENTARY FEE IS NOT REQUIRED BY LAW, BUT MAY BE CHARGED TO BUYERS FOR HANDLING DOCUMENTS AND PERFORMING SERVICES RELATED TO CLOSING OF A SALE. THE BASE DOCUMENTARY FEE BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 1992, WAS $40. THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT THAT MAY BE CHARGED FOR A DOCUMENTARY FEE IS THE BASE DOCUMENTARY FEE OF $40 WHICH SHALL BE SUBJECT TO AN ANNUAL RATE ADJUSTMENT EQUAL TO THE PERCENTAGE OF CHANGE IN THE BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS CONSUMER PRICE INDEX. THIS NOTICE IS REQUIRED BY LAW."

Please note that if your dealership is operating under a Consent Decree related to documentary fees, the Consent Decree may have requirements in addition to those set forth in the above law.

------------

Generally it seems that the sentiment about the doc fee is that you have to weigh the cost of your time to perform the relavent registrations with your local DMV vs having the dealer do it for you. Some say that you need to budget for a day off work to do this yourself.

Other info about the doc fee pertains to some state gov'ts determining that this fee is essentially an addition to the cost of the vehicle being purchased and as such, from the gov'ts point of view, is a taxible item.

A survey of message boards shows that this doc fee ranges from as low as $50 to several hundreds of dollars. The doc fee seems arbitrary and in some cases has been increased steadily to a point where 90% of customers do not complain about it (but apparently 10% do). This seems to be somewhere between $150 and $200.

Click and Clack said this in 1994 regarding a question about a $40 doc fee:

"Actually, it's short for "Documents Fee," which is what the dealership charges for standing in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles to get your license plates and registration."

See also:

I guess if you follow the rule of thumb that the price of things double every 10 years then a $40 doc fee in 1994 would be $80 in

2004...
Reply to
MoPar Man

Steve

Question: Did I get a snow job and they got an extra $100 to cover their costs?

They lied as usual. I ran into the same thing. I just scratched it off the list and wrote the check for $75.00 less. They do it online automatically. There are other dealershps and they knew it. Bob AZ

Reply to
RWatson767

Reply to
deadbeat

Here in SE Wisconsin, some dealer's add a $89.00 service charge. What the service is , who knows? The Motor Vehicle registration form from the State says that dealers may add up to an $89.00 fee, and the 2 places I went to both had small stickers appended to the factory window stick with the charge added to the MSRP. After haggling on the price, the $89.00 "set-up" fee was added on the registration form after the agreed-to purchase price.

Reply to
<mberens1