Probably gonna get an Odyssey...

Been looking to get the wife a new minivan. Her '02 Venture WB-Edition I no longer trust. 2 weeks ago needed the intake manifold repaired, now last week the AWD stopped working. Initially they said needed a new rear diff. to the tune of $3000. Told them to forget it. Later on, after they did some more research, found some other tech articles suggesting just replacing the AWD pump in the diff would do the trick. That was only $250 ($170 for part plus labor). Went ahead with that gamble merely to keep it in as good a shape as possible till we decide upon it's replacement.

It's not an issue of the dealer. I've dealt with them for many years on prior vehicles and they've always been straight. It's I just don't trust the vehicle any longer. Only has 96000 miles on it and seems like it is falling apart.

3 vehicles we are looking at are the '07 Odyssey EX-L, the '07 Sienna XLE with Package #3, or the MB R350 (my uncle works for them and can get me a sweet lease even with a 20000 mile a year allowance.

I haven't driven the Odyssey yet, but my wife went and drove it Thursday. Today we both tried out the Sienna. Very nice. My wife liked the drive better than the Odyssey. But the Sienna, in the XLE level, only comes 7 passenger. So that issue, and the 175,000 nearly trouble free miles on my '01 Accord V6 EX-L has her leaning that way. Dealer is offering it to us for $29,438, so we're pretty happy with that. Gonna see if I can work him a little further and/or see what I can get out of him on our trade-in (haven't even mentioned trade to dealer yet).

Ok, lots of irrelevant history out of the way...Just wanted to get that data out there in case anybody else is currently comparing the same vehicles.

Any finance deals or incentives either rumored or confirmed in the upcoming week or 2? Hoping there may be some rebates or financing incentives for the upcoming President's day weekend.

Thanks

Reply to
Seth

For a data point: I have an 02 Odyssey, and I trust it 100%--with the wife and kids in it, going on long trips.

I'm amazed that people buy cars you can't trust 5 years later.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I *know* that getting an Odyssey would not be a mistake. Same with the Sienna. I don't think the R350 would be a mistake either, especially since it's only a 27month lease. What the hell could go wrong in 27 months?

That's why I'm off GM. Was a GM guy for a long time. This is the last disappointment.

Reply to
Seth

That's about right if it's for the EX-L with the DVD, and a good deal if it's for the EX-L with the DVD + navigation, but it's about $1000 high for the plain EX-L.

Reply to
SMS

Well, hell, you could save yourself some dough and get another GM if you're going to dump it 27 months/27,000 miles.

I like the way you put it, though--the German car (which overall is a mistake) *should* be OK for 27 months...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Before you harp all the praise on the jap cars look at the 2002 Odyssey problems on

. With their transmission, EGR, IAC valve and other problems they are far worse than the problems you had on the Venture. The reliability is no better there.

Reply to
Woody

We did the same thing. I could have lived with either one (we were going to buy whichever had the better deal) but I actually thought the Odyssey had a little firmer ride and handled a little better. Everything about the Sienna was so light-feeling. I like a little 'heft' and feeling in my controls. That, the 8-seating capability and an excellent lease deal had us buy thr Odyssey.

Since you have an AWD van now, I'm assuming you live in the snow belt somewhere...? So, unless you're talking about the 4matic version of the Benz, I'd pass on the R350.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

We have a Odyssey 06 Touring model. Fine car though leather seats are a bit hard. Interior of Sienna reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Both are good cars. Read consumer reports review at library. For better handling get the Odyssey. For slightly softer ride get the Sienna. I would go with the better dealer if it was a toss up. Odyssey should be cheaper to take home feature for feature.

Reply to
Art

Except he's talking about an 07 Odyssey, not an 02. The transmission problems that plagued the V6-powered Odysseys and Accords have, for the most part, been resolved since then. And he's gotta be living right since he also mentioned he has an 01 Accord V6 with 175K miles on it. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

But he is comparing it to a 2002. The problems he had then are also fixed in the 07 GM cars. The 07 Odyssey hasn't been out long enough to say the problems are fixed....

Reply to
Woody

Good to know.

I've since gotten an email offer from another Honda dealer I contacted through edmunds.com for 27,989.

I'll see if my preferred dealer will match that.

Reply to
Seth

Except the GM doesn't lease as well. The higher end cars lease much better if that's the route I choose to take.

I've had German in the past and my last 2 motorcycles have been German with no issues.

Reply to
Seth

I'm not buying an '02 Odyssey...

Reply to
Seth

I'm comparing it against an '02 GM only because that's the only GM I currently have. None of my previous GMs have felt reliable at high mileage. Meanwhile I've had 3 Hondas do well for me well past the 100K mark. My current '01 Accord is one of the ones that were plagued by transmission problems. I'm now at 175,000 miles with no problems with the tranny and the only problems were a wheel bearing ($225 to replace at 130,000 miles) and now I need my EGR serviced.

Reply to
Seth

I haven't driven the Odyssey yet, but I was very impressed with the way the '07 Sienna rode. My wife has driven both and thought the Sienna was a little better. But the 8 passenger seating has her swaying towards the Odyssey along with my Accords track record.

Yeah, 70 miles north of NYC and I work in Lyndhurst, NJ. On the MB, yes,

4Matic. But even if we were to get the Sienna, not going for the AWD. Just gonna get a spare set of rims to through some snow tires on. Those 5 days a year where AWD is required over FWD, she can stay home like I do.
Reply to
Seth

So far it is. The Sienna FWD, 7-pas XLE with the leather package is $31K while a quote emailed to me earlier today has the 8-pas Odyssey EX-L at

27,989.

Wife likes the 8th seat in the Odyssey (as well as Honda's proven track record with previous cars we've had) more than the electric tailgate (which is included in the '07 Touring Odyssey).

Reply to
Seth

Woody, would you please do this newsgroup a favor... SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

Once again, here's a reality check for you. Honda extended warranties and/or issued recalls for many of those issues. If you look at long-term reliability data in Consumer Reports or just about any other source, they will say that Odyssey is still more reliable than any big 3 minivan. Venture (since "replaced" by Upchucker, uh, I mean Uplander) is saddled with a V6 that is prone to the expensive-to-fix intake manifold gasket problem that GM still refuses to acknowledge. Ford and Crapsler minivans still have higher rates of tranny failure than the Odyssey, and they never issued recalls or extended warranties for them.

BTW, the OP is looking at a new Odyssey. The tranny issue was resolved by the time it was redesigned for 2005.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The EX-L is easily the best deal in the Odyssey. I drive my elderly parents around and I decided that I wanted power sliding doors for them (the right decision) and rear hatches on vans get filthy fast so I wanted a power rear door. For that you need the touring model. I regret not paying more and gettting the rear view camera and navigation (my wife has navigation on her accord and it is a pleasure). But the front and rear sensors are very helpful.

Reply to
Art

Avoid the Mercedes. There reliability is horrible. Good tranny and motor, but the electronics are straight out of the garbage.

Reply to
Thom

Wow, tough choices --

I'm not much of a fan of the Sienna, but it's not a bad car. The Mercedes is VERY nice and is a really cool car, but their reliability can't match the Toyota or the Honda. But as Seth put it above, it should last for 27 months. Keep in mind though, this means you'll have to buy another car in a little over two years, so if you're in this for the long run, the Mercedes probably wouldn't be your best choice.

Overall, I'd take the Honda. I find it more comfortable, it's larger, and it'll fit eight passengers. That should be a good plus for your wife, especially if you have kids. Plus, it sounds like it's cheaper.

Good luck! Overall, any of the three you choose will serve you well, it's just down to details now...

Reply to
Robert