The reason for the poor m.p.g. on my PT

Before buying my PT Cruiser I did a little research online ie clubs, forums etc. It did seem that the brakes were a weak link for alot of owners. Pads and rotors were the big problem with no mention of the calipers. With that and the fact I was going to use the Cruiser for my courier business I attacked brakes at the time of purchase. I went with OC Autosports drilled and slotted rotors and coupled this with Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. This was with 27,000 miles on the PT. Now at 70,000 miles the brakes at last inspection looked excellent with minimal wear for 40,000 plus miles. Yes, I do alot of stop and go traffic throughout the day in heat indexes of 95-105 for months on end. I've been in the courier business for 20 plus years and this brake combination has been the best performing for me ever, not to mention the little to no dust to deal with.

Side note.... the only repair to the Cruiser outside of regular maintenance has been a cooling fan. In which I purchased an after-market fan at 1/3 the cost of a dealer fan with an install cost of $60.00. Needless to say the upkeep of the Cruiser is not offering many tax write-offs for repairs, but thats a good thing in the long run.

Happy Cruzin'

Reply to
Rick

I just took a 400 mile round trip beach run with the family. With a 2006 Touring Edition, non turbo, 3 good sized people, full trunk area, highway mpg at 65 mph was 25.2 mpg on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Well there are NAPA stores around here, but I purchased mine from "VAP" Vancouver Auto Parts. Hey, I don't care where they came from - the price was right, and they did the job! What more can one ask?

Thanks Bill!

Reply to
NewMan

In your PT? That seems pretty poor mileage. I would expect my Voyager to achieve a similar mpg over a long distance at 65mph.

Reply to
Whoever

The PT is not a Voyager. The Voyager will get better MPG than the PT. My 88 New Yorker 3.0 gets better mpg than my PT

Reply to
Steve Stone