Leaking tire valve stem - replaceable w/o actually removing tire?

I have a tire valve (on '94 YJ w/ stock & standard rims) that leaks at the stem base until I put a little lateral pressure on it (and the leak stays stopped if I shim it that way). My guess is given location at base of stem it's the stem, and not the valve itself.

Is my understanding correct that it's easy to replace the valve itself w/o tire removal, but to replace a leaking stem you have to remove the wheel, break a bead seal on the tire, insert new stem from inside the rim, then rebead the tire and inflate? (In which case I guess I'll spring for the $20 shop repair as much as I like taking 4 hours to get the frustrating gratification of doing it myself.)

Reply to
Tripp Knightly

L.W.(ßill)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, L.W. (ßill) Hughes III from was injured because:

| Take it to a shop. If you have to ask here than you don't | know the little tricks, like using a bumper jack to pop the | bead. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

| | Tripp Knightly wrote: || || I have a tire valve (on '94 YJ w/ stock & standard rims) that || leaks at the stem base until I put a little lateral pressure || on it (and the leak stays stopped if I shim it that way). My || guess is given location at base of stem it's the stem, and || not the valve itself. || || Is my understanding correct that it's easy to replace the || valve itself w/o tire removal, but to replace a leaking stem || you have to remove the wheel, break a bead seal on the tire, || insert new stem from inside the rim, then rebead the tire and || inflate? (In which case I guess I'll spring for the $20 shop || repair as much as I like taking 4 hours to get the || frustrating gratification of doing it myself.)

Real Jeeps don't have bumper jacks....

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Will Honea

The new valve stem will go in from the inside, the tire has to come off the rim. It does not need to come clear off, but at least the bead has to be broken.

Reply to
CRWLR