Toyota's loyalty lead

No, I'm remembering the 2.5 that was in my mother's '85 Turismo, and a friend's '85 LeBaron.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Yeah, the valve guides inserts tended to slip. Didn't affect the basic soundness of the engine.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It happened -- according to my machinist, the valve guides didn't have a tight enough interference fit, and could slip which would cause oil burning.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

About 1980. I had it in a 1981 Horizon. One great tough engine, as was the follow on slightly larger 2.5L version which I had in an '86 L'Baron GTS.

Reply to
who

True, that can happen with any aluminum head, especially if overheated. The aluminum heads on the 2.2/2.5 also tended to develop harmless cracks between the intake and exhaust seat inserts, which scared the bejeebers out of a lot of people when they first pulled one apart, but they rarely caused problems.

OTOH, you could look at a Mitsubishi 3.0 with your eyes crossed and the guides would fall down and rattle around the valve heads, and dump a quart per 100 miles through the engine and out the tailpipe. Maybe you remember better than I do, but wasn't the final "fix" to that engine to install guides with a machined groove near the top and then install a snap-ring in the groove so they would only drop so far and then stop? Pathetic. I still shudder to think how close I came to buying a '92 Lebaron 5-speed 3.0L when they were closing them out in the fall of '92. Pretty car, cool ergonomics, but rotten Mitsubhishi engine and the turbos were all gone for the year.

Reply to
Steve

Oh, I never claimed it was in the same league as Mitsu! I thought the final fix for that engine was to have the car towed to a wrecking yard.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That is the final fix, not the final factory "fix" :-)

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson

Harley, all image. After knocking them I have to say I

Porsche vehicles are better but not much, you still have

dealer. And a Porsche SUV, WTF. Just what we all

the interstate.

I have a 2001 Harley Sportster 880 & it has never been in the shop. Frequent oil changes & standard maintience help to keep it going strong.

Reply to
Shawn