Transmission Fluid again

I know that this topic has been beaten to death in this NG, but I have it come up again.

A local transmission shop rebuilt the transmission in my 1993 Voyager at 95,000 miles. There were many worn parts. I had hoped to get over a

100,000 miles, but no such luck.

When I went to pick it up, I asked what kind of fluid they put in. They told me that they put in Mercon III, with Lube Guard. When I asked them why they didn't put in ATF+3 / 7176, they got very defensive, and showed me the label on the Lubeguard bottle. It says that Lubeguard enchances the fluid so that it exceeds ATF+3 and ATF+4 specs. They also told me that they have never had any problem with the Mercon III / Lubeguard combo.

He also showed me a chart indicating how Lubeguard reduces the acidity way below other fluids. This shop has been in business for more than

23 years that I can remember. They also do warranty repairs for the local Chrysler / Dodge dealerships.

Everything I have read in this NG, and allpar says only to use ATF+3 /

7176 for this vehicle.

Should I drain the fluid and refill with the correct stuff, or leave it? The transmission repair far exceeded the value of the vehicle, but is in good condition otherwise, and I do not wish to buy a newer van at this time.

I am hoping to recoup my investment by getting another year or two of use from this van

The only thing that makes me concered, is that this same van was in the same shop in January 2006 at 89,000. At that time, they replaced the ignition switch as the solenoid pack was not always getting power. At that time, I had them service the transmission which meant a fluid change. They most likely put in the same fluid. Could this fluid have cause the death of the transmission over the next 6,000 miles?

Prior to this time, the fluid had always been changed at the closest Chrysler / Dodge dealership. They most likely used ATF+3.

Thanks for reading,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmath50

Based on my own experience with how rough the shifts can be with Dexron I would say yes you need to put the proper fluid in there ASAP. Don't just do a drain and refill though make sure you do a full flush. I like the "unhook the cooler line" method as it seems to work well.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference in fluids is friction modifiers. The lubeguard adds those modifiers. I personaly have 2 chrysler products and that is what I use. I also do the same thing when overhauling one,as do the majority of transmission shops.

Reply to
marc-o-matic

Profile:

View this thread:

Thank you. I would like to think that after all the discussion that there has been on this topic, no product supplier would dare to claim ATF+3 / ATF+4 equivalency unless they can truely back up that claim. But then again, there are still a lot of *snake oil* products out there. The FTC cannot stay on top of all of them.

I read the *fluid testimonial section* on Allpar.com, and they appear to be dated. Until recently, Chrysler was the only supplier for ATF+3. I have seen ATF+3 eqivalent fluid from Quaker State, Chevron, and Vavoline.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Three speed or four speed?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It's the four speed. I cannot remember what the latest name is for it.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

A-604

Reply to
marc-o-matic

That's the OLD name for the transverse version. The new standardized term is 41TE (transverse/minivan version) or 42LE (longitudinal version). I don't know exactly what they decided, but the rear drive version would be a 4xRE (2.7L Chargers, 300s, Magnums) and the 5-speed transverse version (eg. Pacifica 4.0) would be 5xTE where x is a number that indicates the (relative, on an arbitrary scale) torque handling ability.

First digit = number of forward gear ratios Second digit = arbitrary torque hanling number (a 47RH is beefier than a

46RH for example Third digit = drive layout (T= transverse FWD, L = logitudinal FWD, R= RWD) Fourth digit = control method (H=hydraulic, E = electronic).
Reply to
Steve