Uv film to protect headlights found the 3M site

A little late but I originally posted about 3M making a film to protect headlights from UV damage. Can be used before and after polishing the headlights. 3M sells it to distributors, and it looks like the distributors sell it under there own brand names. Here is the 3M site for the product, and you can look up distributors for the state you are in. It is a listing for paint protection films, but click on the links for Customer, or professional installer, and it will link to Paint film, and headlight protection film. Pretty much the same stuff, but the paint film is alot thinner then the headlight film.

David

I went to the web site. I found it confounding! Eventually I located in one site several suppliers or whatever in my state. But in another place on the web site, I found none. I'm beginning to have my doubts about this product. Have you used it?

Reply to
treeline12345

No not yet. The Confusion I think is that every wholesaler calls it a different name. But if you look at each wholesaler / installer the film is the same 3M scotchgard product. I plan on getting a front end kit for my Van. And a set for the lights on my convertible. The front end kit includes the thicker film for the plastic bumpers, and a 4 mil film for the headlights. For $69 it is not bad. cheaper then buying a set of Taiwan headlamps, and they have a lifetime warranty against yellowing the headlights.

Reply to
David

Why do you need it for the plastic bumpers?

A set of foreign headlights is about $69 on eBay. But they might not fit properly, I've heard so it's a hassle. I was surprised how cheap they were on eBay when I looked. But then I discovered Meguiar's PlastX for $1 and just could not pass that up. Looks just like toothpaste. Probably is. I'll try a strong highly abrasive tooth whitener on my car? It's crazy.

I'm tempted, really tempted. I have this extra 4 mil and 6 mil mylar clear film sheets. A drop of glycerin and I bet they would stay on for, half a day?

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
treeline12345

The 3M UV film is all over Ebay in bulk rolls, just search for it.

I personally have something against paying a detailer $60 to install this stuff on my headlights when I should be able to go to the auto parts store and buy the roll of 20 feet of it for $5 and install it myself. I cannot understand why 3M insists on keeping this stuff out of the retail channel, there's widespread cheating on Ebay as it is.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I looked on eBay. The prices seem a bit higher now. From $30 or so to over $100 or ever $200 for pre-cut version to specific cars. The OP's price of $69 now seems okay for a bit. In any case, I appreciate your and the OP taking the effort mention this. It's quite possible eBay will have a truly cheap sale now and then if I pay close attention, especially for just a square foot or two.

This also gives me an opportunity to address possible future delamination where parts of the van, like the hood and a foot on the roof might be treated for a few years and avoid thinking about repainting the van for the immediate future. The film is supposedly good for 7 years and can be removed. Sounds like a squeegee thing, wonder if there is any adhesive involved?

Reply to
treeline12345

For the DIY'er:
For my LH car ('99 Concorde), $45 the pair, whereas a *single* headlight costs $170-300 depending on whether aftermarket or OEM.

Bill Putney