Warranty

What would happen should Chrysler, Ford or GM go under as far as being able to get a warranty or parts for a new car? I know it is unlikely but wonder just in case I purchase a new vehicle from either auto maker.

I do feel for the employees and wonder what happens to the communities?

Reply to
NJ Vike

Lots of luck. >:) If that concerns you buy an extended warranty from a third party.

Reply to
who

IMO Chrysler isn't going to disappear, GM is in much worse shape and Ford is still struggling, but have a better mid sized car selection than Chrysler. Of course parts will still be produced by the parts manufacturers. I see a close out of Chrysler as a great buying opportunity for under priced Chrysler vehicles.

DC operated Chrysler as a truck company, it even looks like the truck guys styled the BIG 300 and the Caliper. The Caliper has a nice drive train, but isn't styled like a car that would attract those who liked the Neon. The Compass looks a bit better, but what car buyer wants to buy a Jeep?

Reply to
Just Facts

A lack of parts is an unrealistic fear.

One can still get parts for almost any vehicle ever made, if one looks hard enough.

I have no problem getting parts for my 1929 Ford Model A. I also had no problems getting parts for a 1937 Hudson Terraplane that I sold five years ago.

You'd be amazed at the new old stock parts that are kicking around in warehouses out there...

Whenever a car maker goes out of business, some successor company takes over the warranty and parts business, it's very profitable.

For example, when Studebaker pulled out of the car manufacturing business in 1966, a company, Newman and Altman took over their parts business and continues to this very day.

Despite the fact that the Zastava (Yugo) factory was bombed during the Yugoslavian civil war, parts for Yugos are still available.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

The stockholders will lose all their money. Lenders will lose some of their money. Bankruptcy attorneys will make money. So will management. Retirees and employees will be screwed. The companies are likely to stay in business. Sure, a few airlines were liquidated but most weren't and most airlines lease their planes and have surprisingly few assets.

Reply to
Art

Great. That's all I wanted to hear.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Hello Art,

Just concerned if I purchase a 300C during these times.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I'd buy one if they added some peep holes.

Reply to
Art

what about peoples retirement funds thats the big question

NJ Vike wrote:

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

I hear ya.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Assuming you are talking about bankruptcy....

401K's are yours. No one can touch them. If you are invested in Chrylser stock though and it tanks...... that was stupid.

If Chrysler gives you stock, starting this year they have to let you move it out of Chrysler stock. That is a brand new law after the Enron disaster.

If you have a true retirement pension and it is underfunded, then the government takes it over. But they have limits on max pay outs. That is what screwed the airline pilots. They only got a fraction of what they expected. I doubt you are paid as much as an airline pilot so you might come out whole. However the pension insurance fund is running out of money from all of the bankruptcies. Most people believe that congress (taxpayers) will bail it out.

Some people have unqualified savings or retirement plans. For example, if you want to save more than allowed by 401K rules, some companies have supplemental unqualified plans where you can put that money pretax. It is not protected from bankruptcy. If you put money there, it is risky and can disappear.

Reply to
Art