What voids a GM warranty?

Hi,

More importantly....my Saturn SC2 is up for it's first oil change soon and I would like to know if taking it to any place for an oil change would void my GM warranty??? What about other general maintanence (brake pads, rad fluid, purchasing new rims, etc)

Any help would be appreciated Thank you,

Confused in Canada

Reply to
Lordfalco

No, none of that will void your warranty. Just keep your oil change reciepts.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
MikeG

Keep a log book. If it doesn't look like you just slapped it together last night when the engine blew up, they won't have any problems with that sort of documentation. Anyway, it's probably a good idea to keep a log book of your maintenance, sure helps when you go to sell the vehicle.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

YOu just need to be able to kinda prove you serviced the car. Even if it mean keeping your WalMart receipts if you buy and change your own oil and filter.

Reply to
SnoMan

My husband has always done oil changes and maintenance on my 01 Sunfire=20 and never needed any proof when getting warranty work done.

--=20

Cheers!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

My husband has always done oil changes and maintenance on my 01 Sunfire and never needed any proof when getting warranty work done.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Hello, Speaking from experience, you can do all the maintenance you like. Even if you dont do maintenance and blow up your engine, by law...the onus is on GM and the dealer to prove that the engine failed because of lack of maintenance...it is not on you to prove you followed the books.

Maintenance schedules depend on the type of service which is mentioned in the owners manual. In Alberta, it is assumed that we are under severe duty.

Reply to
Steve

A neglected engine shows, packed full of dirt, gummy oil, a serviced engine shows too = no dirt. I think the big issue is oil quality, today's hot running engines need a good oil. When in doubt, ask dealer what oils are, are not recommended, save label from quart, or case.

Reply to
451CTDS

So you've neglected maintenance on one of your engines, had it blow up and then gotten warranty on it? There is no doubt that GM will bend over backwards to warranty things, but I've seen numerous occasions in our dealership where warranty has been denied because of obvious lack of maintenance (factory original filter still on the engine at 40k klms) and lack of any records.

It's a lot better to just keep a record of what you are doing, then have to fight about it when the time comes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"" wrote: > Hi, > > More importantly....my Saturn SC2 is up for it's first > oil change soon > and I would like to know if taking it to any > place for an oil change > would void my GM warranty??? What > about other general maintanence > (brake pads, rad fluid, > purchasing new rims, etc) > > Any help would be appreciated > Thank > you, > > Confused in Canada

often it will void a warrenty if you change the oil yourself (or pads, plugs, etc). gotta watch for the term "Qualified or Certified Technician" cuz if you arent one of them you could be SOL. usually its not a problem, i rarely even have (or have heard of) dealerships checking past work, but if its a big ticket item be prepared to show proof.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

pads,

If you have a engine problem due to improper maintanice (not changing oil)it will be appearent when you tear into it. There is no cause for concern here with warranty. A much bigger concern is for poeple who buy SUV.s and jack them up and install large tires without regearing the vehical properly and tranny fails or chopping up the exhaust system and then having drivabilty and emisson problems. This can be a big problem for warranty work.

Reply to
SnoMan

because

Again if a engine fails from oil neglect, it will be obvious when you tear into it.

Reply to
SnoMan

This certainly is not the case in the US.

John

Reply to
John Horner

No shit, Sherlock!