What could be casing this?

Hello everybody:

I have a 1997 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Auto Tranny 4 speed has 56,80 original miles.

I had or have a problem related to the Radiator Fans relay, I bought i brand new from Chrysler friendly dealer, because the fans would run an run and run, and they told me that the relay "hidden under the ai filter was to blame. so I bought it.

Strange though I have read formums all over and all rad fans post related problems stated that the fans would not stop not even when yo switched off the engine.

My case is different the fans keep going until the engine is reall cold and they keep going, but as soon as I switch the engine off the stop.

When I start the engine first thing in the morning the engine warms u until half way, and that is when the relay trigers the fans, from ther on, they do not stop.

Beeing the relay new, I have looked if there could be another "hiden relay or fuse or something that might be looped making the rela "stick" running those fans.

Anyone having an answer to my quest I'll appreciate it very much.

Thank

-- Hellcat

Reply to
Hellcat

Are you saying that you did replace the relay or didnt? and is the check engine lite on also?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Thanks Glenn for answering:

No, I bought the new relay and installed it and it is securely bolte to the frame as it should be but the trouble persists, once the van i warm temp at the 1/2 it triggers the fans and they never stop unless switch off the engine.

I drove it to Laredo Texas (130 miles from where I live) and the engin was so cold it took 1/2 a tank of gasoline so maybe the PCM was al screwed up with this condition (mind you our environmental temperarur is 85/90).

When I came back, I took off the 4th in row 40 amp fuse (that trigger the fans relay) and put a duplex wire with a switch all the way insid the van (I don't need the fans on the high way as I'm not towin anything) and the temp needle was right at the middle all the way back and my milage was less than 1/4 of tank in 130 miles.

So I used the switch to turn the fans on when in the city, you kno stop & go, as when the temp would go a tinny up 1/2 way up I switche the fans on, not an ideal condition.

I have an Autozone OBD II scanner $ 80.00 bucks and it only shows 149

1494 as I believe those two codes are related to the EGR, originall there was a 3rd code 0700 but was corrected when I changed the Trann oil for ATF +4 it really made a difference.

Anyway my survey is about if there could be "another" thing lik another relay, fuse, wire, etc to look into where I could check.

As for the "Service Engine Soon" light has been on for almost a yea now and the Van never gave me any problems exept this one now, (and have driven that pretty thing for more than 10,000 miles since marc last year) but I think it is due to the 1495 and 1494 OBD II code showing since several months, and I guess has nothing to do with th relay.

I took the Van to the dealer, since I bought it to a particular (used but frankly speaking they could not pin point the problem and charge dearly, so I took the van under my "mechanical expertise" (eventhoug If y duck my eyes pop out, but I can stil manage).

I am handy with tools and ohmeteres and can check via Chilton or an media I can get a hold of, as long as they can show me some light ( have Haynes & Chilton service manuals for this model) but they are no too explanatory regarding cooling and AC, as a matter of fact they ar very Basic, and do not tell you how to adjust the Tranny Bands o anything related to, if you could point me in the right direction t see and learn about my 4 spd auto. tranny I will also appreciate tha too.

If you can think of something that can help me out with this problem b checking this or that I will really appreciate it

Thanks

Rene Brione

-- Hellcat

Reply to
Hellcat

The coolant temperature sensor turns the fan on at 212 degrees. If that sensor is out of calibration it may be causing your fan to run when they aren't supposed to. Your would have to have a scan tool connected and the coolant temp sensor value watched as the fan turns on. At 210 degrees and lower the fans should turn off. If the sensor is just out of calibration it will not turn the engine lite on and will not set a fault because it has no idea how hot it is supposed to be.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The A604/41TE does not have any bands it is a clutch pack only transmission and as such the only thing adjustable on it is the shift linkage. I remember reading somewhere that it was the very first auto tranny that didn't have bands.

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

But I did buy this sensor at a Chrysler OEM parts front desk, how can tell my little Auto Zone OBD II does not check temperatrure

Regards Rene troubled custome

-- Hellcat

Reply to
Hellcat

You would have to take it to someone that has a scan toll that reads it. so you replaced the fan relay on the frame and the coolant temp sensor?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Sorry I did not meant SENSOR I meant to write RELAY.

No I did not replace the Coolant Temp Sensor but Ill do that if it is a requierment.

Can you also tell me how many degrees I should buy the Thermostat while I am at it? keep in mind that our environment temperature never reaches

32 Farenheit as a matter of fact we have almost 9 months of 95/100 farenheits and 3 averageing no less than 40.

I live now In Monterrey Mexico 130 miles south of the border of Laredo TX

What I am surpised is that having the Mini Van only 57,000 miles which really are 92,000 Kilometers

Thanks

Reply to
Hellcat

IT ISNT A REQUIREMENT its a reply to your question, if you want to throw a part at it that would be a part to throw t it. Me, I would have the system scanned

195 degree is what it calls for and that is the one to put back in it. Keep im mind that the thermostat not only gives heat but also keeps the engine cool
Reply to
maxpower