Whirring noise in the front-end of a 2000 Cirrus

I have a 2000 Cirrus with about 93K miles and lately it has developed a whirring noise in the front-end that increases in volume as the car goes faster. At first it sounded like a noisy tire but then I realized that the steering was becoming increasingly sloppy. I've also notice that the noise increases on left turns and goes away completely on right turns. To add to this, when the car is cold, cranking the wheel hard causes some binding. This binding seems to go away after a few miles on the road. My thoughts are CV joint but could this be a wheel bearing too?

Reply to
mike

Replace left wheel bearing.

Bill Putney

Replace the right wheel bearing (here we go again Bill) lol. But without hearing the noise you may have more then one problem. Could also be a power steering issue. Have you checked the fluid in the reservoir? A wheel bearing problem would not make a difference as far as binding goes. Low fluid would.

Just my opinion

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I'd pick the right wheel bearing as the cause based on noise when turning left, but I'd replace both anyway.

Reply to
Some O

If it's not power steering-related as Glen pointed out, I still say left bearing.

Bill Putney

Hmmm - I didn't think about the power steering - could be reading back thru his description - but if bearing: left. :)

Bill Putney