Half Shaft Noise

Have a '93 Impreza LS Front wheel drive only, 104K miles.

When it's cold and I make a power on right turn there's a clunk clunk clunk noise. It goes away if I back off the throttle and is gone or much quieter once the car's driven a few miles. Doesn't do it on power off turns or left turns (powered or not).

Is this a half shaft going bad? Is it the left one? How many $$$'s will it cost to fix?

Thanks for any help/advise

Reply to
BlueJay

Sounds like a half-shaft alright, but I suppose there are bearings down there too. Have you gotten under the car to inspect the axle boots yet? More than likely, if a joint is failing, you will see a defect in a half-shaft boot. Possibly notice grease from the boot has been flung about as well. Half shaft will, or at least should have a boot on each end. If it's already started clunking, I'm not sure I would trust regreasing and putting a new boot back onto the shaft. At NAPA I usually pay somewhere in the order of $130 for a reman half-shaft, then get somewhere in the neighborhood of a $60 core charge back when I give them my old one. New one, not a reman I bought for my impreza came in around $80, so I didn't bother with reman.

Also, there are shops that do nothing but rebuild/remanufacture half-shafts. If you have a hard to find parts for car such as an XT-6, it may be more efficient to take your shaft to a rebuilder shop and have them bring it back to spec, right on the spot.

Do the work yourself, and you're obviously just out your time and cost of the shaft. I would think a garage could whip it out in an hour or so, if they aren't too pokey, but maybe I'm low balling it a bit? When I need to, I usually seek out independants that let me bring my own parts for them to install. I know I take plenty longer than an hour when I change out a half-shaft, but not having a lift or anything else to get me off of my back, I take my time.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild