Why can't they close the oil pipe that's leaking oil?

I understand that the pipe that's leaking oil in the gulf right now is what's left of the pipe that runs from the ocean floor to the oil platform.

Why can't they devise a hydraulically-operated occluder (say, a couple of roller pins) and get that down to the well head and squeeze the pipe closed?

Reply to
MoPar Man

At the base of the well is a device called a Cameron Ram-Type Blowout Preventer. This is what they have been trying to close. This device failed to close when it was suppose to. It is equipped with hydraulic rams that blocks the flow of oil. The mile plus long pipe is spewing in three places. I not sure where all the leaks are at except the one come out the tail end.

What you proposed might work if they can get below the bottom leak and pinch it shut.

My prayers go out to the families that have lost and presumed dead and those workers and families that are hurt. Talking with my fellow employees that worked on oil rigs before coming to the plant, the workers on the rig that survived will suffer a great deal as theses guys lived on theses rigs and become a family. My prayers go out to them.

No one knows how this happened and it may be a long time before they even have a guess as to what happened. My bet is the missing 11 workers were in the area when the explosion occurred trying to react to a well blow out. There are plenty of ignition sources on a well from electric motors, welders, diesel engines even a open flame (flare).

The damage this accident has caused and will cause will affect the South Louisiana economy for at least two years. The fishing industry is already shut down East of the Mississippi River. The shrimpers will not be able to harvest this year and the shrimp may die out. The oysters that come from Breton Sound may be salvaged but will not be harvest this year. The only reason they may be salvaged is the Corp of Engineers has increased freshwater flow through the Caernarvon Fresh Water Diversion and the Davis Pond Diversion to flush fresh water into the marsh. By doing this it may keep the oil from reaching some oyster beds. The problem will be the oyster will not be worth eating until the salinity returns to normal levels for a while. This will also affect the shrimp. The fish in the area will move into other clean bodies of water just like they do when the Muddy Mississippi River water backs up into the marsh in the winter and early spring.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

and its predicted to hit north Florida too

Reply to
rob

Recently it was reported that BP had lobbied Congress to avoid the introduction of stricter safety regulations, last year I think?

Is this so, and would these -- to me unknown -- proposed regulations have helped prevent the disaster? I have not heard any comments about this here in UK (does not mean there weren't any).

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Reply to
DAS

Not only has BP but all industry lobbied congress and the labor board to relax rules and not enforce safety . This occurs when ever their is a Republican congress or president. The Republican party is pro business and a few dollars from lobbyist and they get what they want at the expense of the workers.

This is the reasons why unions support a Democratic president and congress. Democrats tend to pass laws to protect workers.

The API is a piece of crap that is run by industry. Right after the BP explosion in Texas City, the Chemical Safety Board was involved in the investigation. This board has no authority but can only make recommendations. One of there recommendations was for the API to develop a standard for fatigue.

The reason they recommended this was that the operators working in the unit that exploded had worked 27 plus days in a row. The API agreed to right a standard and the USW requested representation on the panel to develop the standard. The API agreed and allowed 23 oil and chemical industry representatives and two USW representatives. The USW had written a proposal for a standard for the panel to review but industry stated that this proposal was to restricting. The vote was always 23 to 2 on any issue. In the end, USW walked away because they had no input in the final standard. Industry could not even agree to a standard because what worked for one company did not work for another. The end result is that each company has their own policy.

Under the Bush administration OSHA was a joke. I filed 42 OSHA complaints against my employer. I even had the proof. OSHA would send the company a courtesy letter and in turn the company would answer OSHA letter with their version. Out of the 42 OSHA actually investigated 3 complaints and the company never paid a fine but agreed to correct the issue. 36 of the complaints the company stated in response to OSHA they correct the issue although several where never corrected and OSHA never followed up when given the proof the company never corrected the issues. The last 3 were dismissed by OSHA as unfounded.

Until we get OSHA, MIOSH, and other government agency in charge of protecting the workers, we will continue to have incidents like BP Texas City 15 killed, Tesoro Refinery Anacortes 7 killed, Massey Energy West Virginia 25 killed, BP/Transocean 11 killed and many others that we may not know about.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

Many people complain that government doesn't work and that private enterprise does (see the frequent arguments about UPS and FedEx making money while the USPS loses money). They don't seem to realize that the USA already has a government that is run by private enterprise.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

But you have no indication whatsoever that anything like that caused or contributed to the recent Gulf Coast explosion, right?

Reply to
Hambone

Regulations are in place at this time but are they tough enough. A BOP device was installed on this rig and it was not equipped with a secondary shut device from a remote location. Would this second shut off device work, no one knows for sure. I do know that it was not installed by BP on accord on local TV. The cost of this second shut is a half million dollars. Why was it not installed? It is standard in many countries to have a second shut off device but why not in the US?

To answer your question, no I do not know what caused this incident or what the investigation will indicate. I would bet if they did not want to spend the money for a second shut off on the BOP then they practice what many companies do and only do the bare minimum on safety requires in the name of profit.

I do know that my employers unofficial safety theme song is by the band Styx called Grand Illusion because that all it is a Grand Illusion. Many employers including mine are not proactive but reactive when it comes to safety. Why do we have to wait until others are killed or hurt before employers or the government reacts. It is time to put worker safety in the forefront. No one wants to run theses companies out of business but what is someone life worth?

Hopefully some good will come out of this in regards to safety regulations and enforcement.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

Is that the sonically controlled shut off device that I heard them talking about in one of the interviews with a BP exec?

Reply to
Hambone

BOP stands for Blowout Preventer. This things are suppose to be tested and inspected and maintained under law. Records must be kept show each time it is tested, On this rig the BOP was located on the sea floor but some or located on the rig at the surface.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

They are apparently building several box-like structures out of steel. About the size of a cargo container or the tractor-trailer. These are very heavy, and will be lowered onto the site of the main leak and sink in about 5 meters into the mud. The top is tapered and ends in a connection to a pipe that will be connected to it and lead to the surface where the oil is going to be collected.

They are building 3 of these - one for each place they think is leaking oil. The well head will be the first place - they think that's where

85% of the oil is leaking from.
Reply to
MoPar Man

This new structure now under construction is labelled a "funnel" here (UK) because of the shape and purpose.

Just for my clarification, these proposed regulations that BP et al fought were workers' fatigue matters, i.e. controls on workers' hours? Nothing to do with equipment?

Mind you, given the conditions of an oil rig, I would have thought that regs are in place to control the hours, as there are for lorry drivers (in the EU anyway).

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Reply to
DAS

This is going to be interesting to see oft this will work at 5000 feet. The box will have to be position over the pipe without breaking it off in the dark using ROV to help guide it in place. Even if they are successful in putting the box over the leak will the oil flow up the pipe successful. This oil is thick compared to lighter Louisiana Sweet Crude, Some experts are saying on the local news the oil may be to heavy to just float up the pipe without pumping it.

When questioned why it is coming to the surface right now if it I so heavy of an oil by the reporter, his response was that the oil is escaping out the pipe at the 5000 feet mark and the current is pulling it up to the top. He went on to say that the oil becomes less lighter as the current wash the oil. He went on to say that if the gas has a good oil to gas ratio this will help the oil reach the surface. If that is the case then BP idea might work. The gas will have to be burned off at the surface.

BP is doing control burns on some of the oil closest to the coast line. They corral some of the oil in small circles and light it off. BP has installed a shut off device on one of the leakers and ROV will be attempting to close the valve at this time. This will not slow down the leak but will help control the number of leaks as long as the drill pipe can hold. Hopeful the pipe will be okay after failing to the sea floor after being disconnect from the Horizon. BP has agreed to pay all commercial fisherman a one month wages lost due to the accident to help them at this time. Hopefully they don't have some slick lawyer right up the paperwork and once you sign it you can't sue. Shell Oil did that in 1984 after the Norco oil Refinery Cat Cracker Explosion. Many people wanted money fast and were to stupid to read the settlement or even get legal advice.

Here is a link to photos of the rig up front on fire.

Here is a link to a recreational fisherman's post on the Horizon Oil well explosion. He was an eye witness.

This link would kind confirms what the recreational fisherman state he saw might be the truth.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker