Chysler Jeep Leaking (Long)

Recomend a scrapyard

lol

Reply to
Starlite Disco

Somone I know has one of these nasty things, and it looks like I'm going to be fixing it for them...

So far, I've found the oil is but a distant memory, the fanbelt is perishing, and other faults.

Now, I can work out how to put oil in it (more than the owner has managed in about 3 years), so it's getting a change and filter in the next couple of days.

Both axles are leaking from the cover plate area - I can't imagine it's a tricky job to pop the plates off, clean up the surfaces, and replace the seals, but is there some spring loaded head remover or such like fitted that I should know of? I'd rather know in advance than after taking the cover off and seeing bits of car fly everywhere!

There seems to be a damper on the steering mechanism. I've not much experience of 4x4s, and it's steering box, not rack (which I am used to taking apart and rebuildign on my classics). Am I right in thinking the horizontally mounted thing on the steering linkage is a damper? And if so, would it help if it hadn't leaked all it's oil out everywhere? :) Right now I'm only concerned with making sure the car is safe to drive, and properly maintained, so they don't end up destroying it through neglet and face a very high bill...

Fanbelt - How exactly does it come off? It's routed all over lots of pullies (anyone care to tell me what the hell they all do?), and there's a sticker under the bonnet that points to one as the way to remove it. That pulley has a nut in the middle - A case of undo nut and it slides around so the belt can be removed, new one fitted and tightened, or is there some other way it all works?

Plugs - Looks a bit tight to get onto number one... Will a normal socket or T bar get in the gap? I can't believe you've got to take a ruddy great ally casting and the alternator off to change the plugs..

There's a very nasty noise coming from the left of the engine (right as you look at it). It's like a badly blowing manifold, lud and harsh. But seems like it's coming from the pump up there, which I assume to be the power steering pump. Didn't think to check the fliud level (was mainly checking the oil for them, in a bit of a rush), and the owner says the steering is fine. Could it be the pump, something in that area, or just the exhaust near there somewhere? Can prolly answer that one myself, if I spend a bit more time under the bonnet, but any tips much appreciated :)

Is the engine pushrod? I couldn't see any signs of a cambelt behind the huge plastic fan guard, and the dizzy lives down the right side of the block. There's a trace of top end rattle, that I'm assuming is rockers/ tappets.

Any point getting them to buy a Haynes for the car, or is it like the modern ones I've seen, evedrythings' "take to your nearest dealer"?

Handbook recommends changing the oil in the transfer box - Any hidden problems there?

The last service carried out was the 18 month one, just before they bought the car. It's now about 4/ 5 years old... And when talknig to the owner today, she did say it didn't seem to have the power it did when she bought it...

Basically, I've done all my own work on plenty of cars in the past, but mainly BMC/ Triumph stuff. I can't see why I can't do most of the jobs on the Jeep, but I'd like the peace of mind of knowing there's nothing bizarre I'm going to come across while under there! :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Not alot of use, that reply, was it?

After all, I'd already suggested she should get herself a sporty little car that she wants, and take what she can get for the Jeep and be rid! :)

Reply to
Stuffed