Wiring Harness...

2005 Dodge Caravan 125k miles,my Brake and ABS lights are constantly on as well as the TRACK OFF indicator. Brakes work fine, ABS works fine. The communication cable between the ABS module and the main computer is defective. I asked the local Dodge dealer the price to replace that cable - he said I have to replace the entire engine wiring harness at a cost of $1200.00

Does anyone know if there is a tech bulletin or a recall out on this issue where I can get it done for free? Interesting to note - when it rains the lights go out - which tells me a wire(s) is open and the rain shorts it so that it works.

No wonder the dealer that I took it to four times in a row, didn't want to fix it. I didn't buy my warranty there so they would make no money doing it. All they did was unplug it from the ABS module, plug it back in the light went out, so they were happy. I went to pick up the car that night after work, turned the car on and those lights were on again. I pointed this out to them immediately, they saw the lights on with their own eyes, but again they did nothing to fix it. They told me no code on the scan tool, so nothing to fix.

Amazing....what a racket. then they send me flyers wanting me to buy a new car from their dealership. What a joke.

-TRogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

This doesn't answer the question you asked, but I will offer unsolicited advice: Get the connector pinouts and schematics* and determine the actual defective wires (probably only two possibilities) from those. Cut those wires and bypass them with new wires. (In case the problem is in the terminal crimped onto the end of the bad wire or in the crimp itself, you might want to find wires in a junk yard Chrysler vehicle from a connector of the same type - i.e., the has the same type of terminal - cut the bundle of wires from the harness, take the connector and bundle home, take the connector apart, pull four wires with terminals intact out of the connector, put them in place of the suspect wires in your vehicle connector and splice new wire to your new junkyard pigtails in place of your existing suspect wires. Alternatively, some dealers stock pigtails with factory crimped terminals with the handful of terminal variations to choose from - if they are helpful at all, they can let you match the type up to what you need - more than once I've gotten the right factory-new terminals that way from the local dealer). That way you can move on with your life for relatively little money and a bit of your time, and have the satisfaction of having stuck it to the man! :)

*If you don't have an FSM (Factory Shop Manual), get a one year www.alldata subscription for $25. That will give you on-line access to the exact schematics and connector pinouts - as well as the full TSB's applicable to that vehicle. You'd kill a bunch of birds with one stone with that. I have no financial interest in www.alldata other than seeing value in part of their product (actually some of it is pretty bad, but the schematics and connector pinouts and TSB's are 100% genuine and complete). (Do not get a Haynes or Chiltons - "typical" schematics are worthless.)

Bill Putney

Thx for the advice Bill, I'll work on that...

-TRogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

shit i got the wrong year sorry! any way find a good tech

Tom Rogers wrote:

Reply to
mr.som ting wong