headlight bulb

How do I replace the bulb? Does the glass pop off or do I take the whole thing apart? Not the most technical of people

Reply to
chaz_bird

Assuming that you're talking about a headlight bulb on a Citroen of some sort, doesn't really help to clarify the question. Perhaps if you could give a few clues about which model, someone might actually have a useful answer. (Modern vehicles of all makes with 'faired in' headlights, usually have a bulb-holder on the back of the headlamp unit, accessible from within whatever part of the vehicle the lamps are associated with - eg the engine compartment).

Ssshh, no-one will notice ;))

Reply to
Whiskers

As a matter of passing interest on this subject....

I work within the automotive industry and I've been told that there is some EEC ruling that a headlamp bulb should be replaceable within 40 seconds without the aid of any tools. This therefore denotes that if it is a "modern" car then there is no need to take the glass or indeed the whole headla,p unit out.

Reply to
Brian

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@SPAMOFFntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's the first I've ever heard of that - and if it DOES exist, the vast majority of modern cars (especially smaller ones) will fail miserably. Hell, 40 MINUTES is probably unachievable for many.

Do you have any reference to it?

Reply to
Adrian

AOL. Although I could do both Xantia headlights in under 40 minutes after a couple of practices.

Reply to
malc

According to the driver manual on my daughter's Lupo, you HAVE to take the car to a sevice agent to get any bulbs replaced. I get the feeling that this might take a little more than even 40 minutes. Strange really when you think that the laws in many european countries require you to carry a spare set of bulbs - just in case the dealer has run out I suppose?

Reply to
Brian

Bizarre isn't it? Why make bulb changing so difficult? Surely it couldn't be a way of racking up dealer profits or am I being toooo cynical?

Reply to
malc

Oh, I'm sure you're being way too cynical. Who ever thought they might try to do that, after all they are putting pressure on Government to prevent home maintenance on cars.

Reply to
Brian