XM faulty pump for windscreen washer

The front washer pump motor seems to be unable to pump enough water to the windscreen nozzles.

I have cleaned the spray nozzles and the clear plastic pipes look clean. The non-return valve seems OK.

Before I start removing the pump and water tank from the front wheel arch {using Haynes manual info}, can you give me any advice?.

Is there a filter that could be clogged?

Can I use the rear window pump motor (estate model) on the front as a quick fix if I find the front pump is faulty.

Can the pumps be replaced by non Citroen pumps?

Many thanks,

Rudge.

Reply to
Rudge

Rudge ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You don't need to remove the tank.

Just get the car in the air, LH front wheel off, arch liner out, and you can get the pump out the tank with the tank still there - just as well, as the tank needs the wing off...

No, the motors die.

Yes, they're right next to each other in the same tank. They're the same as each other, and the same as umpty-seven similar age Pugs and Cits.

They're cheap enough through Cit or Pug not to bother.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian for the quick reply.

I set the suspension to maximum, removed the arch liner {removed 2lbs of soil hidden behind it} and removed the front pump without moving the tank.

The pump seems to works OK.

In the bathroom I connected some fish tank tubing, a new one way valve and a spare nozzle to the motor and when powered it gave a good jet of water.

I will try this setup tomorrow when connected to the cars nozzles.

Maybe there is a blockage in the original black rubber tubing.

Many thanks,

Rudge.

Reply to
Rudge

Rudge ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Did you pull the right pump out? There's two in that tank - one for front, one for rear...

Reply to
Adrian

The original non-return valve was the problem. I can blow through it but it is partly blocked.

The replacement Halfords non-return valve does not restrict the flow even though it is impossible to blow air through it.

Many thanks,

Rudge.

Reply to
Rudge