Mehari

"Charles" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I had one as my main car for a year in the early '90s, and I've got one now. But with a GS engine.

Reply to
Adrian

On 20 Aug 2009 19:50:14 GMT, Adrian finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Do you need to carry a spare drive shaft on the bulkhead, just in case? I saw (and was passed numerous times by a 2CV fitted with a GS engine (and called The Columbian, if memory serves) on the Brighton Run one year - he said he'd snapped a couple and carried a spare "just in case".

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Brian Dominic gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

When I finally get it on the road, it'll be on Ami Super driveshafts for as long as it takes to get through the pair on it plus the spare, then it'll be going to 2cv shafts on adapters...

I can only assume their short life is down to the increased suspension travel (in use) over a G - they're basically just short G shafts. Since the Mehari is going to be a bit low and stiff, it might not be a problem.

Right now, that ain't it's biggest problem. The fact that the last time it saw an MOT station was 1990 is more pressing...

Reply to
Adrian

On 20 Aug 2009 20:15:40 GMT, Adrian finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Ah! How's the steelwork under the plastic??

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Brian Dominic gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Now? A lot better than it was a little while ago...

Not that any of it's the same as it was, of course. The old rear frame fell apart. The scuttle wasn't much better - but that was mostly "RHD conversion" incompetent bodging rather than rot.

Reply to
Adrian

On 20 Aug 2009 20:35:28 GMT, Adrian finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

Aha! it's been hacked, then! Did they make a reasonable job of it, or was it a bodge? (says he, who ran two Acadianes in times past.......)

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Brian Dominic gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It was a hideously bodged bag of RHD rotten s**te. It's now a solid, if incomplete, bag of LHD solid s**te, with the potential to be a complete signed death warrant. Especially if I do get round to putting the MegaSquirt fuel injection that's sat here, almost ready to fit, on it.

Got shot of the Acad last year, but bought an AK400 this summer off fleabay.fr - so "only" currently the AK350, AK400, four-pot Mehari, early disk Club, Solex 2200, Solex 3800...

Oh, and the 205 & 900 T16, but they're the sensible end of the fleet...

Reply to
Adrian

On 20 Aug 2009 21:54:07 GMT, Adrian finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

You could get catapulted out of that quite easily, I should think!

That's enough to keep you out of mischief, then! I acquired a Solex

3800 from France many years ago - it still sits in the garage having never been on the road since before SORN........

Would you like to hear the story about when I imported it?

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Brian Dominic gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I seem to recall you turning up to a 602 Squadron meeting on it, many many years ago.

Indeed.

Reply to
Adrian

So it was you that asked! Thanks :))