just bought (maybe) MG B 63

Hi all,

It seem I let the better part of me buy a 63 MG B (USA), now before I fork over the cash, what are the things I should look for in this bargain car. She probably will need a brake job and ... What is the going price for (-) but running car to (+) but not show ? For example, where are the rust points on the MG B...

Your input will certainly be useful.

Eugenio (currently rebuilding a pug 404 convertible and the alfa is sadly in the shop (again))

Reply to
Eugenio Grapa

Be easier to say where they don't rust. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

just you go and try to check the oil in the transmission or was it put some in? anyway you will discover that you need to bend your arm hand fingers like a serpent

and

do no ever let the screw that hold the latch onto the lock on the trunk get loose, you can have the key and turn it 1000 times but if that screw has worked loose you will never ever open the trunk

let's see? can't remember but way back when i owned this i moved on to a amc gremlin with

4 speed and straight 6 and a 24 gallon fuel tank and never looked back until i bought a 356 cabriolet

bill

Reply to
mcameron, bill

Dave is right. But the places where you most likely will find rust are

*rear quarter panels *trunk floor *car floor *rear of front fenders *wheel wells *battery boxes

Don't despair though, not all MG's are rust buckets. I think it depends if they were driven in places where the roads are salted in the winter.

Check it out carefully, and if to your satisfaction - go for it!

BobP

Reply to
Bob P

This is a California car, no salt so .... what about the three bearings engine ? Is this really fragile, cost to replace ? And ant rhoughts on putting a full synchro box ?

Reply to
Eugenio Grapa

Just remove to rubber plug behind the speaker and check it on the dip stick. Easy.

What are you talking about = was you B maintained?

Reply to
ops

No not necessary without the salt still happens.

  1. Floors
  2. The triple sill panels (thats front under the guards to the back guard - its four skins at front and back including the guards.
  3. Battery boxes - yes but you may want to make a single battery box anyway.
Reply to
ops

It's not that fragile, although it can break the crank if over-revved. It was replaced by the 5 bearing because a smoother engine was needed for the saloon Austin 1800, so it made sense to standardise.

You can fit the 5 bearing engine to the earlier box, so I'd guess the reverse is possible too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have a VERY early one

The 3 brg engines are OK actually rev better.

You can put a 4 sp all sync box in but you have to alter the tunnel its a bigger box,

The best thing that I have modified was to put in a O/D box gives it better legs on the highways. Its 1" shorter in length so a spacer or tail shaft mod is required.

rm

Reply to
ops

No idea on replacement cost, but the 3 bearing engine is preferred by the racers as it revs well.

It's a big job involving substantial work to the transmission tunnel - I think this was detailed in Practical Classics around the time the Heritage shells were first introduced (late 1980s) as they rebuilt a 3-synchro car with a new shell. They had to do the oppsoite and fitted the smaller tunnel to their new shell, Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

I never had a problem with this - were you using the access grommet on top of the tunnel? Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

The problem with an MGB isn't the tendency to rust, it's the complexity of doing a good repair here.

If the sill and the rear quarter panel are rusted out, then it's easy. You take them both off and put them back on. The inner sill goes on first, underneath the quarter.

The problem is when repairing the sills alone. It's not possible to repair it properly without taking the quarter off too, but the temptation is to just try and slip it under, without properly welding it. A couple of years later, you get a crack developing here at the end of the sill.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not necessarily so... If it was located near a coastal town, cars can be quite rusty.

People often refer to Texas cars as being rust free until they get something from Houston...

Reply to
JETman

Salut Henri,

Je cherche quelqu'un qui peut m'assister avec la langue française qui s'interesse avec les voitures anciennes.

Qu'en pensez vous?

DL

Reply to
David Lloyd

Reply to
AlNakba

Lucas, aka the Prince of Darkness.

rick

Reply to
rick nelson

Tends to be an American saying. But I'd love to know who their common car electrics maker is that was so much better. The only make we got in the UK was Delco-Remy and their stuff really was rubbish...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Is there a rule somewhere that says someone has to roll out this tired old joke on _every_ mention of Lucas?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

If Lucas (now TRW, Goodrich and various other things) are so bad, how come VW use them for relays and brake parts etc.

Delco is still rubbish.(IMHO)

J.

Reply to
Jacques Hankin

Of course this was referring to them in the days when Britain actually made cars and exported to the US.

Lucas simply made equipment to the price and spec the car makers wanted. They also made some beautiful gear for Rolls Royce.

Reply to
Dave Plowman