Question

Slim ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It most certainly does.

It looks like a Mac Strut. It works like a Mac Strut.

The fact it has a cylinder instead of a spring is irrelevant. It's a Mac Strut with a ball 'anging out the top.

Reply to
Adrian

So what would happen if you dissconected the hydraulic pump?

It would not work, the suspension would sink to the ground.

Why??

Cos it's not a Mcferson strut.

As said before, it's built that way to fool people like you into thinking that the suspension is "normal"

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

mmmm

Reply to
Mindwipe

Slim ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A spring wrapped around the outside is not the only characteristic of a Mac Strut.

Ignore the actual springing medium, and look at how the wheel is physically attached to the car.

A lower arm with a balljoint connected to a hub mounted on the bottom of a strut, which heads upwards to a rotating top mounted on the inner wing. The entire strut turns with the steering.

It's a friggin' Mac Strut. As fitted to Cortinas for years. It just has a hydraulic cylinder in the middle instead of a damper and doesn't have a coil spring wrapped round the outside. If I could be arsed, I'd go and take a pic of the spare pair of XM struts kicking about in one of my lockups.

That's the only difference, and a fairly subtle one.

If you think that the actual springing medium makes more than a smidgin of difference, you might like to look at the rear subframe of a C15 and that of a BX, and consider why a hydraulic BX subframe bolts straight into a C15 instead of the one with springs. Or are you going to tell me they aren't both trailing arms, because one uses a spring and one a cylinder?

You're funny.

Reply to
Adrian

cortina mk 4 and five that i drove didnt have struts they had an upper and lower arm system with a coil spring and shocker was seperate nothing like a macpherson strut layout

Reply to
Mindwipe

Mindwipe (jeffinleeds@nospam) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Forgive me for not being expert on Cortinas...

One bloody light-hearted remark...

Reply to
Adrian

I dunno who I'm agreeing with here as I lost the thread but ...

... I reckon the "Macpherson-ness" of the thing is the wheel attachment/articulation part of the design , rather than the spring and damping system ... the design just generally lends itself to incorporation of these features.

But hey dont listen to me ask these people seem to have all the answers ...

atb

drd

dont think any of it truly matters just light hearted banter :--)

Reply to
Mindwipe

"The only thing that matters is the data - everything else belongs to philosophy."

nah .... 'it 'im ... ;-)

Reply to
drd

drd ( snipped-for-privacy@CITYZOO.COM) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

"hang on, let me take my glasses off "

It was a quiet night at the Citroen Owners Fight Club ... again ...

Reply to
drd

"Mindwipe" haute in die Tasten:

Yes, me for example. If you take Xantia parts to spoil a DS, I would suggest a 3.0i V6 and an activa suspension. IMHO a Wankel engine, maybe from the Mazda RX8, would indeed add some mystique to a GS.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You mean like Citroen built and sold as the GZ Birotor?

Perhaps even more interestingly, it'd probably fit a 2cv...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian haute in die Tasten:

Sorry, typo, I meant a Deesse. I always thought that this car deserved a somewhat more sophisticated engine. The Hybrid powertrain of a Toyota Prius might also be an interesting option (although a little bit underpowered), and one would have to fit the electric HD pump of a C5 into the project, so that the car stays operational when the engine switches off;-)

My favourite panic project has always been a Trabant Tourist with a BMW M635i engine mounted in the rear;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And it should have had one.

The DS was originally planned to have a flat-six - and at least two engines still exist - one air-cooled, one water-cooled. The CX was going to have a triple-rotor Wankel.

Unfortunately, in typical Citroen style, the perennially awkward subject of money (or complete lack thereof) came up in both cases...

Ever driven a Prius? There's a good reason nobody else has followed that path into production yet. It's Really Not That Great. Actually, it's fairly dire.

PSA have got the Hybride HDi C4/307 - but reckon it's ten years from economically viable production. So how much are Toyota subsidising the Prius? Yes, there's the Honda Civic IMA - but that's not even a true Hybrid

- the petrol engine (why are they both petrol?) has to stay running at all times, the electrics just "assist".

This is, of course, all stuff Citroen did in the late '90s with the Dynavolt and Dynactive Saxos/Xsaras/B'lingos. The Dynalto is now in production as the C3 Stop'n'Start (Somebody shoot that marketing person!)

You've seen the Lotus Esprit/Acadiane?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian haute in die Tasten:

Yes, and I was quite pleased by its performance in heavy stop&go traffic. My Xantia burns about twice as much fuel - but its susension is way better;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, but that's about all it's any good at - get it on the open road, and it's just awful.

According to the official figures, perhaps. On the test drive I had, according to the fuel computer I managed about 50% better than my petrol automatic XM...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian haute in die Tasten:

Unfortunately not. My Xantia 2.0i 8V with 4 speed auto trans burns 12 litres per 100 km in mainly (80%) city traffic. This is less than the fuel consumption reported by german car mag auto motor sport, but I am disappointed nevertheless. My '92 BMW 325i Convertible /w auto trans burns about the same amount of fuel when driven under similar conditions, but it burns regular fuel instead of premium fuel, and it has two additional cylinders, 50 additional horsepowers and a drag coefficient like a brick.

For a medium size 4 door hatcbback with 120 HP, the Xantia is surprisingly uneconomical. Okay, it is way cheaper to buy preowned, compared to a BMW 3'series, Mercedes C class or such.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Frank Kemper ( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why on earth are you putting premium in the Xant? Normal everyday 95 undeaded's fine for it.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian haute in die Tasten:

In Germany there are basically three grades of petrol available:

"Normal" (91 octane), "Super" (95 octane), "Super plus" (98 octane, nowadays often replaxed by extra expensive fuel like Aral Optimate or Shell Vmax with 100 octane). All brands are unleaded.

My BMW is rated "Normal unleaded", my Xantia is rated "Super unleaded", which makes a difference of approx. 3 eurocent per liter :-(. The dealer where I bought the car recommended using "Super plus" with 98 octane, but I could not find any consumption advantage worth the extra cost .

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper