Veggie oil - the truth.

Looks like a case of find your local biodiesel supplier buy a tankful and keep the receipt in your car. When you get pulled by the plod present the biodiesel receipt as 'evidence' that the car contains legitimate tax paid chip fat, drive away. Many biodiesel outlets are selling 5% mixes (5% vegetable oil, 95% derv) but there are an increasing amount selling pure biodiesel which presumably would smell just as bad (or good depending on what you're opinion is) as regular cooking oil unless they're treating it in some way.

Check out:

for details of your local tax paid supplier.

Regards, Jason.

Reply to
Jason Arthurs

Looks like exactly what they're doing in Southeast London...

Regards, Jason.

Reply to
Jason Arthurs

Indeed.

My comment referred to the likes of you and me befriending our local chippy, blagging some used oil and doing it ourselves.....

I read somewhere (but typically can't find it now :o) ) that catering establishments now (or will shortly) have to prove that their waste oil has been sent to an 'approved' disposal site and not just 'tipped down the drain' as mentioned in the article you gave. This would preclude the DIYer as it would be prohibitively expensive to get yourself set up as an approved recycler.

The HSE have something to say about DIY biodiesel too :o)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

Looks like its a 50/50 SVO/Derv blend then (with a suitable receipt in the glove box of course). Just looked under the hood to confirm I do have Bosch fuel pump which is great as if it had been Lucas these are a no-no for use with straight vegetable oil.

I was listening to 'Changing World' on Radio 4 the other afternoon and they were talking biodiesel and the guy from Argent Energy was saying that even a 5% mix makes the engine burn the remaining mineral diesel better. Apparently the squeeze to reduce sulphur content means modern diesel is very 'dry' and the veg oil helps lube the engine.

Regards, Jason.

Jason Arthurs

Hi I have a '92 ZX 1.9D Auto. I have tried running on Veg oil but in anything like slightly chilli weather it struggles at tickover, It's fine on a day like today (20c+) but even early this morning at maybe 7-8c it still stopped a couple of times. I know several other people with ZX's who have no problems. No one has any idea but have no direct experience of Diesel Autos. Does anyone have an answer?

Reply to
JMThompson

JMThompson ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It has been pleasantly hot lately, hasn't it? But I haven't noticed many kidney beans about...

Or did you mean "Chilly"?

Glow plugs? Is it running on all four when it struggles to idle? Oil waxing? Does it do it if you fill with normal diesel?

What are you actually filling it with? Just plain ordinary supermarket stripy cooking oil? Or are you going through the whole process of treating it and turning it into biodiesel?

The one thing that's certain is that if it's doing it at idle, it's nothing to do with the fact it's an auto.

(My mind boggles as to how sluggish an auto 1.9D ZX must be...)

Reply to
Adrian

I was reading , made by the entity known as JMThompson, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

I have a 97 Xantia TD. I have it running now for about 15000km on 50% sunflower oil mixed with diesel. It ran without problems when it was -7C this winter. The only problem I have is the morning after filling the veggy oil. The car doesn't run smooth since it isn't mixed yet, the engine has never stalled though. Tried to solve it with a hand pump and recirculate, it's a bit better now. Had a close look at the fuel filter recently and it was completely clean. I think veggy oil is cleaner as diesel. You wouldn't cook a steak in diesel.

I have heart of people that run a VW Golf on pure veggy oil. But that's hear-say.

I had a small warning. If caught customs (I'm in The Netherlands) will charge taxes from the day you registered the car and add a small fee above that. But Diesel is e1.10 and sunflowerpower is e0.70 and I don't know of anyone that had their fuel tanks sniffed.

But, If you try it and loose the engine in the process, don't come and blame me.

Reply to
2Rowdy

I was reading , made by the entity known as Adrian, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

I read somewhere that biodiesel can dissolve rubber. Biodiesel is chemical transferred vegetable (waste) oil. They do that to reduce viscosity afaik.

Reply to
2Rowdy

Would pre-existing clogging of the fuel lines, filters if any, and jets, make cool-weather running on PVO less reliable than if there were no such clogging?

I haven't made any detailed comparisons, but the oil I use in the kitchen does seem to be noticeably thicker than the mineral diesel that goes into the car. So I'd expect the mineral oil would be less impeded by clogged pipes.

Reply to
Whiskers

I'd have thought rape seed oil would be sufficient!

coming from the affluent south where we're all posh, I get my butler to fill the car with 50% organic extra virgin olive oil with a hint of korean toasted sesame oil ... I haven't notice any change in performance, and my driver informs me that the jalopy starts fine first time (in the heated garage of course which may help ...) Obviously we dont care about saving any money but the aroma from the tailpipe is quite intoxicating ...

all the best

Dr Dolittle

Reply to
drd

I was reading , made by the entity known as drd, that requests spam to be sent to and I became inspired,

I guess it is. But they sell it here in glass bottles as if it is something special, price is higher. The sunflowerpower is sold in plastic 1 liter bottles packed in boxes containing 15 bottles. I haven't seen cheaper vegetable oil, yet.

Hahaha. I always get an urge for chips when I smell it.

The sheep lied.

Reply to
2Rowdy

That is not entirely true, it depends on the type of bio diesel. It is the additive which is harmful to some types of rubber.

Lots of information here

If you are running on 100% veggie oil, as bought in a supermarket, then you really need an additional heat exchanger to warm it up a bit, as it is far more viscous than pump diesel. On the other hand, a 50/50 mix works fine.

In the UK you also risk having the vehicle confiscated, and then offered back to you at market value, on top of a fine etc. It is cheaper to murder someone in the UK than deny the greedy government some money. Oh, and people have been caught using veggie oil in the UK.

Reply to
Brian

I have noticed that the UK is the only place where rape seed oil is cheaper and readily available. I also note that our local Tesco has raised the price from 43p to 53p /litre in the last couple of weeks. But of course diesel is now 99p per litre, about 1.40?.

Reply to
Brian

it's 99.9p a litre here now - I thought the pump was broken the other day when the "litres" dial and the "£" dial were going round at the same rate !!!

they should do something about it I'm sure ...

atb

drd

Thanks, I hadn't thought of running it on Kidney beans:-) The glow plugs are quite new, it is just the stuff from the supermarket, no it doesnt do it with proper diesel and surprising it is not at all sluggish, a friend who has a Volcane TD was really quite surprised, It obviously doesnt keep up with his but the performance is probably about the same as a 1.4 petrol.

Reply to
JMThompson

Thanks, 2 of the jets are new, I have changed the filter twice but apart from off the shelf cleaners havent donemuch about the pipes etc.

Reply to
JMThompson

Just as a point of interest it passed the MoT with just veggie oil in the tank

Reply to
JMThompson

Should have mentioned that this was yesterday

Reply to
JMThompson

Should have mentioned that this was yesterday

Reply to
JMThompson

Is sunflower oil better than vegetable oil then?

Reply to
JMThompson