Xantia Diesel Turbo - Poor Fuel Economy/ Power

I have recently purchased a P reg Xantia estate. I was shocked to find out it was doing about 20-25 mpg! I was told to expect about 40mpg for the 1.9DT.

Also, I dont know if its just me, but it seems very low on power below

2000 revs, whicj is probably when turbo kicks in.

Is there anything that typically cause such crap consumption in a diesel?

I suppose Id just like somebody to magically say, "oh, yeah! you just replace this part from under the bonnet and it only costs a quid and you can fit it yourslef in 5 mins" ;-)

Malc

Reply to
mclarko

I usually get c48mpg. I have had 54 mpg. used as a car and not as a fuel thrift test vehicle I get c40 mpg

Reply to
.

I had a 405 estate TD, and yes, there is not too much power below 2000rpm. I also got up to 48mpg on a long run, but the average was over 40. Things to do, though you don't say how many miles it has done. Check the air filter, and replace if it looks dirty. Has it had a reasonable service record, ie, has the cambelt been changed when it should, assuming it is now over 72k. Take it out to a quiet bit of open road, and put your foot right down in second, for about 30 seconds. This will clear all the detritis out of the system and exhaust. You will probably see lots of blackish smoke to start with, which will clear. (Also do this before any MOT). Then try again on consumption. You also don't say what sort of journeys you are doing. If very short, then it will be poor. To do a real test, ideally you need to go on a motorway run of at least 50 miles, at a steady 70 odd. My best was on a run from London to Stirling - 450 miles. You could also try some diesel injector cleaner in the tank, which will help clean out the system.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for your reply.

Its done 152k. Last service was at 114k in 2001 I wonder how the cambelt would affect mpg? The trips I do are around 10 mile town traffic, which might explain a lower cinsumption, but 20-25 is to me, toooo low.

Just off out to give her a blast!

Cheers

Malc

Reply to
mclarko

I assume you have a xantia. My mpg is definetely low then.

Thanks

Malc

Reply to
mclarko

The cambelt will not affect mpg, but if you are going to rev the engine to its max for any time, it's as well to be sure that the belt is not past its sell by date. Of course, if the belt had been fitted badly, then either the injection or cam timing could be out, which would affect mpg.

Reply to
Brian

"mclarko" wrote in news:1144513677.571553.59450 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

You mean no service AT ALL for 40.000 miles? It's long overdue, especially seeing that it probably did only short runs (8.000 miles/year?). This engine is essentially the same as in the ZX, for which I have a service interval of 10.000 km (6.250 miles).

Change airfilter, oilfilter, fuelfilter, oil and then try again. The cambelt should be changed every 120.000 km (75.000 miles) so it is due, especially if you don't know when it was changed last time.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Bot

Thanks. Sounds like a service is in order. IMO its always a bad sign when somebody sells you a car with a greasy Haynes Manual!!

Reply to
mclarko

Thanks for your input here. Thanks for everybody's input here. The airfilter is dirty. Ive already changed oil and oil filter. I wonder what syptoms you get when fuel filter not working properly?

Cheers

Malc

Reply to
mclarko

That would just reduce top end, basically causes fuel starvation. The fact that you were also given a greasy Haynes manual probably means that the PO did his own servicing. No problem with that as long as it was done. BTW the service interval (for oil changes at least) on the 1.9 TD is 6k according to my book.

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:aIg_f.38996$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Apparently they rounded it down for miles. Now you know that you can last at least 250 more miles before going to service ;-)

Bert

Reply to
Bert Bot