Rover 220 diesel

Hi folks,

I'm going to look at a couple of Rover 220 diesels tomorrow and wondered if there are any model specific gotcha's to keep an eye open for? i.e. servicing and cambelt interval, headgasket reliability etc.

I know about the dribbling PAS fluid reservior and the rust problem but what about anything else apart from the usual checks (oil, coolant, brakes, suspension)?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Chris Dugan wittered on forthwith;

I only have one question.

WHY?

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:evosco$ehk$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

me to WHY ?

i spent two days this week rebuilding one, service, radiator, oil leaks galore, suspension joints, door catches the list was endless & the customer was happy !!!

i have to say the 220 diesels are the biggest piece's of crap going, the petrol versions of the 200's would be a better bet.

Reply to
reg

Disagree there, having owned two reliable models (a 200 and a 25), the engine on these is very frugal and reliable compared to other offerings from the same period. During the Labour Party induced fuel crisis I was getting around 70mpg just by being light footed with the throttle and driving around the 55mph mark. Pedestrian by todays standards the SDI non-common rail fly by wire system when released on the R reg 200 series were good for the time and very pokey, the non-turbo version was a dog. As with all things, it depends on how the car is looked after and serviced. You thrash the bollocks out of it then expect to get a bill at some point that you will not like.

Weak points, the PAS bottle is a pain but cured with a proper jubilee clip. The fuse box on the 25 model in the engine bay can be a pain. Usual problems with hose degredation, all models (petrol or diesel) the rear wash line where it passes into the tailgate is prone to failure. Lightweight on the tires as well, having got near on 60k from a pair of front fitted Conti-Ecos before they needed changing. Parts are reasonably cheap, servicing is reasonably easy (even on the air con version, which I have). I don't like getting under the car at the best of times so applaude the filter and sump nut which are easily accessable behind the drivers side front wheel which you will need to take off anyway when changing pads. Damaged acoustic engine pan can be a pain to source and the MAP/MAF sensors have been known to go out of operating range with the result that it feels like you are driving in glue.

If buying, be aware that if the owner you are buying off of is a golden oldie, the car will drive poorly until a couple of good motorway thrashes clear the pipework out. Crap radio/cassette fitted, changed mine up for a nice Alpine unit which interfaced with the steering flippers just nicely.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

*All* Rover 200 / 25 2.0 diesels have a turbocharger. [snip]
Reply to
DervMan

"Pete M" wrote in message news:evosco$ehk$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

It could be because although somewhat cramped inside, they're "pleasant" to drive. Not inspiring, but not old shape Passat tedius, merely, pleasant. Decent ride, the diesels are a little nose-led, but, not uncomfortable.

All models are frugal, the 2.0 diesel is perfect for tight gits like me. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Why ask that question? If you have problems with the car tell me that is what I am here to do... find out information on faults to look for.

That is one reason, also they fall nicely into my price range at the moment. I like the sound of a 220 SDi near me owned by an air stewardess ;-) gonna see that one on Monday.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Thanks for the info

I did have a look at an R reg one a couple of weeks ago and promptly walked away: needed driveshaft (cv boot gone for an unknown time), brakes didn't do anything until you were about 80-90% of the way through the available pedal travel even though there was plenty of brake pad, the front bumper wasn't secure and left a 1" gap between it and the bonnet. There were other minor probs that I could have sorted over time (heater blower not working on lower speeds - power resistor blown, damp boot and needed it a service and engine mounts) but with the state of the brakes and the bumper I left it for someone else to take a chance on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Chris, I didn't ask the question, somebody else did...

Excellent. There are few things I like more than a cold diesel on a frosty morning those precious few seconds after start up. It's better if you accidentally spill diesel on your trousers and shoes, so everywhere you go, there is Eau d'Derv... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Two types, push rod throttle operated L series lump with Rover type ecu (around N reg) and the later SDI Bosch fly by wire version which went on to the 25 series.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Smart move, some people treat cars as nothing more than a mobile pig sty at best, and that also applies to the servicing (Rover or any other model for that matter). Sounds like that R reg has literally been run into the ground and is one step off of fit for scrap, beggars belief the way people treat things, really does.

There *are* still some good ones out there, you just have to be patient.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

You should try starting a 40 year old English Electric 4SKRT engine on a nice frosty morning, and listen to it firing on (if you are lucky) two cylinders. It's a case of COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH SPLUTTER COUGH for the first 15 minutes until the oil warms a bit.

Number of times I have had to go back and hold the governor running the fuel racks to stop it hunting...!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I actually found it the other way round when I had a petrol 200 on loan while the lump was in for work, the petrol version felt very skittish, always looking around the road rather than keeping in a straght line.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

In news:qB5Uh.369$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net, Paul Hubbard wittered on forthwith;

I was using a petrol 416 for a few days last year, I thought it was a nice little car that handled ok and rode very well.

Few days later I ended up driving a 420SLD? which I thought was possibly the worst thing I've driven for a good couple of years. The SLD was immaculate as well, had only done around 35k miles and was properly well looked after - the SLi was a rough one with a decent engine (head gasket replaced properly)...

Reply to
Pete M

As you approach the car (from front or rear only, not the side) check to see if the car has a badge or emblem saying Rover.

If it does, then walk away.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

As you approach the car (from front or rear only, not the side) check to see if the car has a badge or emblem saying Rover.

If it does, then walk away.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Funny, thought that was what you do with a BMW.. :o)

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

ive got a 95 rover 214 k 8 engine & its a lovely car, ex customers car with a head gasket gone, ive got another 214 1992 40,000 miles with a head gasket gone and its mint, i have to say even after all these years fixing servicing & doing headgaskets on these cars , i love 'em !!!!

Reply to
reg

If a 3-series has a Rover badge on it, I'd walk away too...

Reply to
DervMan

Sorry, I know you didn't. Dunno why I put that reply there though??

Reply to
Chris Dugan